SIX

October 28, 2015

October 28, 2015. Wednesday. 09:30 am.
• • •

I should have known that Lois wouldn't let me do the interview my way. I sat at my desk angry at what Perry had just told me in his office. I've been preparing for this for weeks, and now I had to give it back to Lois. Perry had allowed her to sit with me while I interviewed, but she butted in saying that it was her piece all along and that she should be allowed to continue now that she had better and more pressing questions to ask.

At that point, I was too angry to argue and handed her my notes and walked out. Hasn't she done a dozen of her interviews with Superman? Why did she need to do another?

I sighed heavily. This day couldn't get any worse, could it?

"Hey, Annie,"

Clark's voice pulled me from my thoughts, and I swiveled in my chair, smiling up at him. He returned my smile with one of his own, but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, well no," He sighed, "I can't make our date on Sunday,"

"Oh?" Was all I managed.

"It's not that I don't want to, I do, it's just that Perry has me going to an event. A Benefit for the Library of Metropolis. I had forgotten about it," Clark explained quickly.

"Walk and talk?" He nodded and followed as I made my way to the kitchen. A fishy aroma greeted us, and I gagged, "It should be illegal to microwave fish in the workplace," I laughed reaching into the fridge for my salad turning back to Clark once I had my Panera leftovers.

"Those events are hard to get into, who'd you flirt with to get in?" I joked, "Can I go with you? I've always wanted to go; it'll honestly be the fanciest party I've ever been to in my life. I can help you with your piece, and then we can spend the rest of the time enjoying the party?" I asked Clark who had leaned against the doorframe his brow raised.

"Bad idea?" I asked mixing my salad around with my fork. Suddenly, I was nervous about suggesting it. He probably thought I was moving too fast. The second date at a Benefit?

"The exact opposite," he flashed me a smile, "I'd love to take you as my date,"

"I thought I was taking you?" I joked.

"Taking who where?" Lois asked as she maneuvered around Clark, who muttered an excuse me.

"How did you like my notes, Lois?" I asked, quickly changing the subject, "I hope they'll be of help to you for your interview with Superman,"