First Day?

Elenor's POV

            “Elenor.” I heard Dylan’s voice and turned around.

            “Hey.” It was lunch period now and we were right outside the cafeteria.

            “Sit with me today.”

            I shook my head.

            He pouted.

            “I sit with James everyday. Sometimes Alicia.”

            He made a face, before it shifted into a grin. “Okay, I’ll sit by you guys today.”

            I raised my eyebrows at him.

            “Well, are we going in?” He gestured to the cafeteria doors.

            I sighed and walked in with him right next to me.

            He made me go with him in the lunch line, even though I took cold lunch, and then we made our way over to the table where James was waiting.

            “What’s he doing here?” James asked when we both sat down.

            “He’ll behave.” I looked at Dylan and he nodded.

            James made a face, but decided to ignore him. “So, think of anything else for newspaper?”

            I shrugged. “I dunno. I have to think of something good…”

            “I thought you were writing the advi—” Dylan started.

            “Shh!” James and I said at the same time.

            “Keep your voice down.” James hissed.

            Dylan glared at him.

            “Dylan, stop glaring at James.” He looked at me. “I’m serious.”

            He ran a hand over his face then looked down at his food, putting his elbow on the table and resting his head on his fist.

            I shook my head and turned back to James. “Do you have any ideas?” I asked him. “You’re the one who’s going to be taking the pictures.” James was also in newspaper, but mostly because I was. He didn’t really like writing—and wasn’t that great at it either, no offense to him—so he just settled on taking pictures for whatever I write.

            “How about…” He thought about it. “Yeah, I got nothing.”

            “We’ll brainstorm later.”

            “Okay, but I was—” He cut himself off, looking over my shoulder. “What the heck?” He mumbled.

            “Dylan, man, what are you doing here?”

            Dylan turned toward the voice coming from behind us, and I did too.

            “Hey John.” Dylan said.

            John Sumter sat down in an empty chair next to Dylan. “So why are you sitting here?”

            “I’m sitting with my girlfriend.” He said simply.

            John blinked at me. His mouth twitched—like he wanted to laugh—before he smiled at me. “I’m John.” He said.

            I rolled my eyes. “Elenor.” I introduced myself. “And that’s James.” I told him, since James’ mouth was full of food.