[ Chapter Two ]

I wasn't much for a hugger.

In all actuality, I preferred to put as much distance between the person and myself as humanly possible.

He was, however, an exception.

"Chris!" I squealed, sounding a bit too girly for my own liking, but nevertheless, ran to him.

He grunted in response, gradually enclosing his arms around me, a chuckle escaping his lips.

Christian was literally my brother, though not by blood. I grew up with the dork, the two of us inseparable until I left.

I hadn't seen him since.

"I've missed you, Elle." He murmured into my shoulder, my eyes slightly glossing over.

I felt a weird sensation form in the pit of my stomach as if I had finally rekindled with my other half.

"Me too. Me too." I repeated, putting emphasis on the second 'me too.'

It was weird to be nice to him, seeing as our relationship was built upon annoying each other. But this was a special occasion. I had no doubt tomorrow we'd return to our usual antics, but for now, I was just glad to see him.

"Alright kiddos, enough fooling around. I have to escort my dear nephew, Ms Morgan to her room." My head jolted up, my aunt's gracious smile instantly greeting me.

I let out a shallow breath, momentarily transfixed.

Was this all a dream?

"Aunt May," I said barely above a whisper, hastily running to her and enveloping her in a bear hug, just as I had done to Christian.

Aunt May was Christians mom, and one of my mothers closest friends, a friend who she adored enough to shed the secret of the mafia to.

"I can't believe y-you made it." I stuttered, distraught that I had accidentally brought up my mother.

My mother.

"I'm sorry my precious girl." She soothingly whispered into my ear, "I'm sorry."

I felt my heart wither in torment, yet I wouldn't allow the tears to cascade down my cheeks in front of these people.

I couldn't afford to be openly vulnerable, despite had knowing them for years.

Training had taught me a lot about things, so had people; no one's genuine anymore.

No one's real.

• • •

"I'll let you settle in. However, don't take too long. School starts tomorrow."

I turned around rather quickly, my jaw loosely hanging wide open.

"School?! I don't want to g-"

"Well, tough luck. I don't ever want to go to work, but I do. Have a great afternoon and don't stay up too late!" With that said in a rather chirpy manner, Aunt May deserted my former bedroom. I pounted at the door, stubbornly folding my arms across my chest.

Moments of sheer silence-despite the light hum of chattering from downstairs-passed by before I properly drank in the room I'd be staying in.