Finale

Augustus kissed Hazel softly, waking her up. She turned to her side and gave an unwilling smile.

"Go away Augustus," she mumbled. Gus could hear the smile in her voice.

Augustus gently squeezed her arm. "Come on," he urged. Hazel sighed and gave an exhausted moan. All of a sudden she was being lifted out of her bed and into the arms of her true love. He smiled brightly at her, his devotion and love shining in his eyes.

"Where are you taking me?" Hazel giggled and put her arms around his neck.

Gus looked at her with adoring eyes and said, "I want to show you something."

He eventually set her down, and blindfolded her. She laughed and held his hand while he guided her. Hazel was so happy to be back with her true love, her only love. This is who she was meant to be with, and she couldn't have wished for anything more.

Augustus uncovered her eyes and Hazel's face was mildly disappointed. She had expected something spectacular, or another one of Gus's ridiculous games. But instead she found herself at Issac's house.

The humor fell out of her voice. "Why are we here?" Her stone cold eyes were glued on the structure ahead, and she tried not to focus on the incoming surge of pain.

"We're going to revisit everyone you care about. You need to see that they carried on, and went on with their lives. When I, um, passed away I couldn't get you all out of my mind. I couldn't allow myself to move on and be happy without knowing what pain I have caused. And I don't want you to feel like that." He twirled a strand of her hair in his hand. "I want to protect you from everything. I never want you to feel pain again." He looked at her with tender eyes.

Hazel looked up at him. "But we were just here last week."

Augustus shook his head solemnly. "Time moved faster here." His voice dropped. "It's been a year, Hazel Grace."