Chapter 2

Megan's POV

I sat there for a few seconds staring at Skye. Half of me was trying to decipher whether or not she was serious, the other half of me begging for her to allow me to help her. Though I know that if I do that, instead of allowing whichever monster that did this to my best friend to ever ending chance to rot out their last days in jail, then I know I wouldn't be any better than them.

"Skye...." I called. Her eyes still distant and dazed. "I know that this isn't easy for you. It isn't for me either, but right now, we should be focused on making sure Sloan and Marci are okay. They're the victims in all of this. They're the ones suffering." She shook her head, straightening herself in her chair. "I figured you wouldn't be easily swayed to control your rage for a little longer, but at least I could appeal to the fact that none of us have seen Sloan since we got here. If we rush out of here now, and she wakes up without us here, think of how it'll make her feel."

"Stop." Skye said. Her leg shaking more vigorously than before. "You can't just sit there, and tell me that me wanting to rip apart whichever sick bastard who shot my sister is unjustifiable. "

"I wasn't saying that I wa-," I started.

"Then what are you saying? That I should sit back and what? Let the legal system work its course?" Skye challenged. I know that if I say the wrong thing that it'll just spark her anger even further, so I just decided the best thing to do was to stay silent. I didn't think that having a fight while her sister was lying in a hospital bed with a gun shot wound would be the most appropriate of things.

Sitting there I just played with my thumbs looking out blankly into space.

"Megan...." I heard Skye's voice beside me. "I'm sorry. I know that you were just trying to rationalize things. And that I shouldn't be taking out my anger or frustration on you."

See? Crisis avoided. Luckily, I've had enough time with Skye to realize that sometimes you gotta hold your tongue. Things will work out from there.

"You know, that's one of the many reasons I love you.  You're always the one to think level headedly. I've always appreciated that about you." Skye said. Her voice was small and quiet. I know she's hurting. She'll try her best not to show it, but there's always a certain tone to her voice. It's a dead give away.

"And you want to know one of the many reasons I love you?"

"What's that?" She asked.

"You're always the strongest person in the room. Even when you don't have to be." I said to her, leaning in I turned her head towards me , and gave her a soft gentle kiss on her lips. More of a reassuring kiss.

"I'm so scared." She whispered.

"I know." I said, resting my head on her shoulder. "I am too. Mostly because we have no idea who could've done this. Let alone who would want to do this." It felt like we were all living in the twilight zone. Like maybe we'll wake up and this would have been some weird kind of illusion.

"I have a feeling I know who it might've been." Skye sighed. "I mean it makes sense right? She dumps her boyfriend, and moves on to another girl, it's enough to make anyone feel incompetent."

"No. No way. No way that Chase could have down this." I said. "Right? I mean, he loved Sloan. And yeah he may have been hurt that she ended things with him for another girl, but that doesn't mean it was enough to get him to hurt her. Right?" I was more or less just trying to convince myself that that scenario was not in any way a possibility.

"I don't know Megan. I mean, if it were me, I'd be well not just hurt, but broken." Skye explained. "Losing you, would be the worst feeling in the world. It'd be like my heart tearing in a million different ways."