Chapter 15

Sloan's POV

My brain is blank. My heart is racing. My palms are clammy. And the only thing I can think about is the fact that Evan will be getting out of prison. My dad said that the sheriff's office didn't give much details of as to why he's getting out, but that they would assign a patrol car to be right outside our house. Not like it'll do much to ease our minds. Because in my head, as long as he's out, I'll never be safe. Not even if I had ten patrol cars outside my house.

What happens if he's stupid enough to show up here? Try to overpower the officers that'll be outside? Maybe even shoots them? I dont even think I'll be able to sleep once he's released. I know Megan is just as scared as I am. But, I can't tell how Skye's feeling. Her face is just blank, and she's sitting with her elbows on her knees. I dont even know what I feel. Mostly fear. A little astonished. I dont understand why he's getting out. What if.....what if because of what Skye did to him, he got his charges dropped or something. Or maybe even took a plea deal. He probably made up some shit, probably someone who was selling drugs, just to save his own ass.

"So, what happens now?" Megan asked, moving into the same position as Skye. Though one elbow sits up higher because of the boot she's wearing. "Do we like, baracade ourselves in here?"

"No, I want you all to go to the cabin." My father said sternly. He had the look of fatherly fury on his face. "I'm sure Evan has no idea where it is, so you'll be safe there."

My father was never really the type of man who got bothered easily by things. He rarely ever even raised he voice at Skye and I when we were growing up. So, it's a bit nerve racking seeing him like this.

"When do we leave?" Skye asked, sitting up straight. She cracked her neck, and popped her knuckles.

" I think it might be best to leave during the night. That way, there won't be a chance of someone following you without one of us seeing." My mother explained. She too had a look of fury resting on her face,  but hers was mixed with something else. Panic. She really probably wants us to leave right away, but she knows it will probably be safer to leave at night.

This doesn't at all feel real to me. I feel like this is all just a really bad dream. But, no matter how hard I pinch myself, I can't wake up. This is all so stressful, I wonder if its possible for me to have a heart attack at my age. I wouldn't be surprised if I did, I'm in fear for my life now. Again. I need to breathe.

Standing up, I walked over to the front door, and stepped outside. All I need right now is to see Marci. I can't stand going somewhere and not at least saying goodbye to her first. I have to go by the hospital.

"I'm going to see Marci one more time before I leave." I announced, standing I grabbed my keys off the coffee table and went to the door.

"Sloan...", my father called after me. Looking back, I saw his eyes were much softer now. As if he were looking at his pride and joy. "Be careful. Please."

"Of course, dad. I love you. I'll be back soon." Walking out the front door, I was afraid that while I was driving I would see glimpses of Evan. I was afraid that my mind would play tricks on me. But he's not important to me right now. I need to see Marci.

The thought of her made me tune everything else out. It also made the ride to the hospital quick. And soon enough I found myself pulling into the hospitals parking lot. There's not much on my mind besides seeing her. I dont pay attention to anything around me as I walked to her room. It probably wasn't a good thing that I wasn't aware of my surroundings, but I didn't care. I'm not sure how long my parents will make us stay at the cabin, so I'm not sure if I'll be here when Marci wakes up. If she wakes up. No. What am I thinking? She will definitely wake up. She has too. I need her too.