Black and White

Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. Good and bad. Left and right. Up and down. Dark and light. Horizontal and vertical.

But there are many things in between. Colors that aren't just black and white.

Everyone is taught that stealing is bad. And it is. You shouldn't take things that aren't yours.

But what if you're starving to death, and you have no money? The food is just barely in your reach, the smell causing your mouth to water. The aroma wafting in the air like it does in a cartoon, drawing you closer, and closer. Your stomach is growling. Your legs shake. Your ribs are showing, and cheek bones point out. You're going to die without the food, but isn't it still wrong to take it?

Nothing is back and white. There's always a blue, or a pink. Maybe an orange. A yellow. A red. A whole cascade of colors can present themselves, and sometimes truth can't even be a clear color. Not just a black or a white. There's so much more to choices, and views. Right can be wrong, and wrong can be right depending on the situation at hand. Moral values differ among people. Among individuals.

Not only that, but colors have shades. From the lightest blue, to the darkest blue. All the colors, shades, and more, shift between each person, always making views unique with every person to come into existence.

Even as you grow, your prospective is changing. New experiences, new memories, new lessons. All of it changes something about you. Last year, if you'd have asked my favorite color, I would have told you it was "blue." But ask me this year, I'll tell you it's "yellow." Both answers are honest, and true. One day it just wasn't the same color anymore. Maybe one day I'll say my favorite color is "red."

There isn't one single answer to what my favorite color is. If there was, then the concept of there only being black and white answers would have been true. But it's not, because there are so many more colors. Life is so much more than that. So much more than just black and white.