Chapter Three

"We managed to kill only a few, Monsieur. The building was completely trashed as requested. They won't be able to use it again." One of the attackers spoke in a French accent. He stood in the center of a dimly lit room where only a spotlight shined down over him. The others were just behind him waiting in a small line.

 "Yet we had a number killed tonight in our ranks," Reece seethed from around a cigar. The plumes of smoke filling the room, his body leaned against the front of a finely decorated cherry oak desk. A finger plucked non-existent dust bunnies from his gun metal tailored suit.

 "It was around the same amount, Monsieur," The man tried to explain quickly; "They still managed to be quite protected. Must have had weapons hidden in the whole place."

 "Of course they did! They are a gang you idiot! One of the most elusive and largest expanding societies of generations created through families; most that run deeper than the Yakuza in fucking Tokyo! Not even the police want anything to do with them." Reece hissed around the cigar, leaving the man to only see a cherry ember on his inhale within the darkened room, "Of course even with a surprised attack you couldn't even take out one of their leaders."

 "He could be dead. I saw for myself that he was shot." The attacker had a right to feel nervous for failing tonight. They were meant to kill Keiren, and someone managed to shoot him but was unaware if he survived.

 Reece tossed his cigar, "He's not fucking dead. You and your men looked like fools tonight."

 The man jolted when it hit against his suit, eyes lowered to the floors. He was too scared to wipe at the ash left on the fabric. That wasn't a smart idea.

"What can we do to make up for it, Monsieur?"

 "You? Nothing. I have no use for you anymore. A replacement has already been made."

 Before the attacker had a chance to respond there were guards grabbing him up to be dragged out the door. Reece ignored the harping wails, and stepped to the wall finding the switch for the room. Light filled everywhere and his steel colored eyes adjusted before running a hand through his short crop of dirty-blonde hair.

 "Get me one of their higher ranks," He snapped his fingers to the ones left behind, "I have a few spies that have been watching over one for me. Derek is his name. Tell him to step in, bring me one of those Dragon bastards. It's time they realize this war is only going to get worse and coercion is apparently required."

 Reece watched everyone file out before turning back to one of the large windows. It was still dark outside yet so early in the morning. Maybe two? His eyes cast up to see rain pouring all around his condo suite outside, hitting the glass like the tapping of nails. To him, all he saw were the lights of the city below. More anger began to boil within before a sting hit behind his glare.

 He couldn't afford to be upset. There was far too much to do.

 "I'm going to have my revenge on them. They will pay for what they've done to my family," What an idiot he must sound for talking to himself.

 Clenching hands into fists his forehead pressed against the glass, every exhale of breath fogging around lips as if it were freezing inside.

 "I swear that I will have revenge for you. All of this is for you," Words whispered in a pained choke. Shoulders hunched forward and he covered his face. "I couldn't protect you ... but I will give you this."

                                                       *************** 

Jace and Ailyn marched along the extended hallway that was decorated in red carpet until finally finding their room. This safe house was one of the many residential homes bought for times like these. Even if the police managed to realize a home was being used they'd have to gain a court order first. By then they'd all be gone with no traces of anything left.

Taking a break inside Ailyn was finishing another glass of water with Rury and Jace joining her on the couch. Rury was absolutely gorgeous. She carried beautiful red hair as her brother Reiner did, and she just happened to be Jace's mate too. They got along splendidly outside of Rury's amazing ability to kick someone's ass.

Ailyn was still slacking in that department.

 "It's a good thing you only had to deal with a scratch. You should really let me clean that before it gets infected," The redhead beamed with her legs draped over Jace's lap.

 "I'm going to head to my room in a few minutes. I'll take care of it. A graze is nothing to be concerned about."

 Jace began to shake his head, "Just take care of it before Keiren knows. There won't be any saving you this time."

 The phone in the room suddenly went off and all three stared to each other for a passing second. Jace removed Rury's legs and got up to answer it with a curt hello. After another minute he replied yes to something and promptly hung up.

 "Too late now, Ai.  Keiren wants you in his room."

 Seriously? She sighed, "Well, he can wait."

 Rury was next to cut in with a tut-tut sound, arms already waving at her friend to shoo. "No he can't. Don't get any of us in trouble now, sweetie. Take care of him and make sure to clean yourself up. We are going to do a shopping trip tomorrow. Oh! You get your tattoo too!" She squealed, "How exciting! Want me there when you get it?"

 Ailyn had almost forgotten about that. It was tradition that all females got their mate's tattoo. She had been Keiren's for over a month now. The wait longer than most of the others but for some reason she felt a little excited about it.

 "Yes, that would be nice. I've never done this before so ... I'm nervous."

 Jace smirked while walking over to the door, "No more stalling. He's on the third floor—"

 "Last room, right?" Ailyn returned, sticking her tongue out.

Jace rolled his eyes playfully, "Good night, brat. Have fun."