Recontre du Dragon (Encounter of the Dragon)

Chapter One

"Ailyn!"  A voice shot out giving a fleeting moment of realization. The gun now turned on her. It was too late.  Her arms lifted in surrender, breath catching like a weight within her chest.

Her pools of mercury widening to the black barrel raised in aim. The world of the night club grew silent.  A surprise attack going on all around that now fell upon deaf ears and time slowed as the trigger cocked in an echo of reality.

She was going to die.

"Dragon chienne," the intruder sneered in French.

Ailyn's eyes narrowed without fear. Let her die like a 'dragon bitch' then.

-BANG

Everything happened in an instant. A strong body charged before her when the shot fired. Light blocking her view. There was a sickening sound of punctured flesh, her senses screaming in pain as warmth seeped through her shirt on the side of her body.

Saved. Wait saved? Someone had saved her?

"Keiren!" She screamed, stumbling from pain and shock. She had been blocked but the bullet had still gone straight through her savior to graze her.

Keiren responded by swiping his arm out behind him, shoving Ailyn harshly. Her body flung into a nearby table; stomach hitting against wood so hard it forced air out of her lungs. A tangled mess of platinum tresses was all she could see at first, then the sound of another shot coming again. Gasping she turned as the attacker fell over from a perfect head shot

The asshole wasn't the only one packing. No one could beat Keiren with any weapon. He was severely dangerous in accuracy. But the bastard was dead.

She could never get accustomed to death. His face would be burned in her mind as many others were when she took a look. This one held a statue of surprise. Blood spurting out in waves like the red sea from the Bible.

Even if she didn't like the killing there would be no sympathy. It was either him or her. Such the life she was to be accustomed to.

Keiren grabbed his side, cocking the gun again while more was running forward, "God dammit. Get out of here now Ailyn," he ordered with words that choked due to pain he must be enduring.

He was hurt. His pain was her fault for being caught off guard. The lump in her throat was hard to swallow. That was his favorite shirt too. He was going to be so pissed when he realized that.

A battle cry of Keiren's men ran in to protect their leader.  Every one of them carrying pipes, broken pieces of chairs, their own knives or batons to use. Anything hidden within the club or that had been on their person. Ailyn watched the swarm meet in the middle as the fight raged on in all its disgusting glory.

We were ambushed on our own turf. The thought brought a surge of anger at the audacity. Who would be this stupid?