Five

"Who would eat this crap?" you groan, pushing a lump of sticky grey 'mashed potatoes' around your plates. "Besides, it doesn't even taste proper. It tastes tangy, like citrus. The chemical-y citrus you get in those lemon and lime candy."

Basil shrugs, taking a bite out of his own sandwich. You nod toward his lunchpack. "Why'd you get to eat proper food?"

"Allergies," he shrugged, "they let me make my own food. You want some?"

"Nah, you better have it. I can live eating this for a few days." You shovel a plastic-looking sausage piece in your mouth - it tastes like plastic too, with that strange chemical citrus taste. You force it down and plaster on a fake smile for Basil. "See? Perfectly fine!"

Basil smiles, thin-lipped and not as excited as usual. He stares down at his food and sighs. You frown, your mouth suddenly watering for the food in front of you. You shovel more into your mouth. "Hey, Basil, are you alright? You look sad."

You can hear your heart thudding in your ears. Basil looks up, his face bright and colourful. "Yeah, I'm good."

You scrub your eyes with your fists. "Holy cow, I feel amazing." Around you, kids are chowing down, just as fast and messily. You beam and motion to Basil. "You're missing out, man."

"I think I'm going to go back to the cabin," Basil mumbles,"start the fire so the cabin's warm when we go to bed."

You smile. "Sure thing. Catch you later."

Basil glances to his side, then stands and wanders from the hall. You look in the direction he glanced in - Simon's frowning face cracks into a wide grin and he smiles at you. You smile back.

Later, after you've had thirds of the food and all the kids and laughing and hugging each other, you venture over to Simon.

"Did you make the food? It's absolutely amazing!"

"I'm glad you think so, Y/N," Simon smiles, clapping you on the back. "I hope you've had a wonderful first day. I know you'll be a valuable member of our team!"

"I'm looking forward to it," you grin, shaking his hand. "Anyway, I better go keep Basil company. I'll see you tomorrow!"

"You too!" Simon laughs, his eyes trained on you as you turn to leave the hall.