Six

The buzzing happiness has began to fade as you stumble through the dark toward your cabin - replaced by a swirling nausea that sits like a rock in your stomach. You catch yourself on the door, possibly moaning - the ringing in your ears blocks the sound.

There's a scuffle inside, and the door opens. For the second time that day, you fall right into Basil's arms. You moan again.

"Y/N? Are you alright?"

"No I'm dying," you grumble. "Let me go, I'm gonna be sick."

Basil pulls you inside, steering you to the couch and pushing you into a sitting position. He waves a finger at you.

"Don't be sick on the floor. You have to clean it up if you are."

You shoot him something that vaguely resembles the one-finger salute. He hurries off somewhere, coming back with a glass of water.

"Drink it," he orders. You sip the water, and the ringing in your ears starts to fade.

"I must've caught something from one of the kids," you mumble. Basil 'mmm's distractedly. He crouches in front of you, extending an arm.

"Can I...?"

You nod. Basil gently places his hand against your forehead, frowning slightly. "Temperature is normal." He mutters, more to himself, something that sounds like, "mixed in with the food."

"Well whatever the hell it is, I'm tired now and I want to sleep."

"Hold on a sec."

Basil's hands push through your hair, feeling the shape of your head. He brings your head closer to his, until your face are so close you can feel his breath against your lips. He pushes your head down and takes a long sniff of your hair.

"Um, might I ask what the fuck you're doing?"

He releases your head. "Sorry, sorry. Just testing something. You can go to bed now."

Despite your sudden fatigue, you find you lie awake for at least an hour, motionless in the dark. Eventually you hear the sound of the fire being doused, and Basil tiptoes into the room. You slow your breath, pretending to be asleep.

You endure another hour of lying awake. The only entertainment is Basil talking in his sleep - muttered things about chemicals in the food, and drugs in the shampoo.