Chapter 27: The Underworld

"Ba da da da!" Nico exclaims. "Welcome to the doors of the underworld!" Both Percy and Thalia deadpan. "Nico. That's the entrance to a company building." Percy said. "My dear; dear Percy. Haven't you heard? Death is a business and it is booming!" Nico once again says cheerfully. "You are way too excited about this." Thalia points out. "Nah; this is Home turf for me! Here; we can tell Hades my theory; he can double check the staff, and we'll have our culprit in no time!" Nico said; listing things on his fingers. Nico then opens the doors yelling loudly; "Hello Jeeves!" What appears to be a receptionist scowls; then he takes a wiff and immediately straighten up. "Oh- Hello Sir! I was unaware that you knew of your origin. Forgive me for not recognizing you at first sight!" Percy mumbles to himself; "Thalia gets the one at Olympus; Nico gets one here. Will I ever get a receptionist who stiffens at the sight of me?" Thalia elbows him. "Not the time; kelp for brains. But yes. Just go down to Poseidon's kingdom" Nico knows that they can and will make this a conversation if he doesn't keep talking. "Express ride to Father's realm; please and thank you." The demon hesitates a second before saying; "Right away sir! Just step into the elevator!" The Trio do as they're told; and the elevator begins to move. The feeling of up and down is missing. Instead the feel swaying. A couple blinks later; and they're on Charon's boat; being carried upon the river Styx. They remain silent for the entire ride. Landing upon the ashy soil; Charon leaves almost immediately. Walking past the gates into the underworld; they look upon the upper layers. The swollen and full fields of Asphodel. Nico sighs; understanding the hissing voices. "They want out." Nico says. "I can see why." Percy adds dryly. Thalia nods. As they got closer; they could see the houses of Elysium. "That's were I'm going." Nico States. "You're settling for that?" Thalia asks. "I'm going to the isles of the blessed. Living three righteous lives in a row! That's the DemiGod dream." Percy sighs. "I dunno. Rebirth sounds neat." Then; as they reach the border of Hades's castle. A whispering can be heard. "What..?" Percy says as he voice calls to him. "Percy don't! That's the entrance to Tartarus!" Nico warns. Percy advances anyway. A large; sharp inhale can be heard as things begin to be sucked into the pit. Rocks,metal, and now Percy are loosing balance. Both Thalia and Nico have to hold Percy to prevent him from falling back. A roar can be heard. Whatever tried to suck him up was not happy he escaped. "What was that!?!" Thalia ask; terrified. "Worry about it later; We got a Hades to meet." Nico says; trying to get as far away as possible from whatever it was.