Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Unpredictable. If her life couldn't be tucked into that box before, it certainly did now. She avoided the eyes that bore into her, the gaze too intense and familiar for her to be comfortable with. To even pretend she was comfortable.

'Can we meet?'

It started out with a simple text. Three words, yet her heart felt like someone pulled it out of her while it was still beating and only became worse seeing him in flesh.

'Kimba' He offered quietly, trying to meet her eyes.

She stared at the ground. Why him? Why now?

'Kimba, please look at me' He sounded defeated, as destroyed as her.

Soothing down the tense muscles in her neck, she tried to contain the sob that threatened to break out from her chest.

He tried to meet her eyes again, but it was firmly locked onto the ground. He thought the dark lighting was playing tricks on his mind,  but her eyes looked red, kind of puffy too.

She tried to arrange to her thoughts, because this silence was getting too uncomfortable, they weren't used to dwelling into one around each other; always having the ability to hold a conversation with ease.

'Why Justin?' She held his gaze, the flutter in her heart was something she was accustomed to whenever their eyes locked.

'You', He began, his words seemed choked, 'You left me.'

She nodded her head, she didn't need a reminder of what she'd done because she hadn't forgotten it.

'Trust me, I'm aware of that' More so than she could admit. Why wouldn't she be because it was her biggest regret.

'And now you're a lesbian? Married to a despicable woman you'd have never associate with in real life?' He scoffed almost spitefully.

She didn't expect the surge of anger that quickly rose in her heart, it was too bizzare to even start analysing the reaction to his words.

'She is my wife Justin. I don't appreciate you talking that way about her' Her defensive tone startled both of them.

'You? You expect me to believe it?' She avoided his eyes that looked into hers, trying to search for a speck of honesty. 'Kimberley, I spoke to Amy. Please don't be mad at her, I swear she hadn't told anyone, just me'

He knew.

There was a loud drone in her ears, too loud for her to even think, clouding her thought process.

'I haven't told anyone either Kimba. You can trust me'

She did. She trusted him more than she trusted herself. How could she not? You didn't date someone for years and wanted to marry them without trusting them.

'I- T-Thank you' She leaned back on the couch, the remnant of tears in her cheeks, hands clasped in front of her, nervously fidgeting trying to wrap her head around what she was feeling.

'I'm not here to cause you any trouble' He scratched his chin, a gesture she was all too acquainted with; her lips almost quirked into a tiny smile knowing he was as nervous as her.

'Why are you here Justin?' She surprised herself with the honest question.

'I miss you' She did too, but she didn't voice it out. 'Can we be friends?'

Here, she dared to release that smile, that had been trying to break free for quite some time.

'Okay'