Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Barney Home

Kimberley looked up at the banner that looked warm and welcoming. The driver stopped the car inside the closed gates. Kimberley got off the car, glad they had dodged the paps cleverly again.

It was her 8th day at the organisation. She always stopped her car at a safe distance from the home and preferred to walk the rest of the distance. She wanted to be known as an ordinary individual, not as the wife of a famous singer. She had always liked her normalcy and the home offered her that. Except the head who had recruited her, not many people knew of her connection with Cheryl.

Every morning she would take the back route via the garden to the park and walk a small distance to a coffee shop where the driver would pick her up to drive her for work in a different car than he normally used for Cheryl.

Even though Kimberley insisted she used public transport Cheryl had brushed away the suggestion with a simple 'just how fast can you get away from the paps if you were waiting for a bus?' comment.

It irritated her that she couldn't make her own decisions, but she didn't argue with her. The less they spoke, the lesser the chances were for a disaster.

She walked with a spring in her steps to the home. Some of the kids playing in the secured playground waved at her. It always made her happy to see them smile. She waved back enthusiastically as she entered the lobby.

'Morning Kimberley. You look happy' Katherine noted, as she saw the younger girl appearing with a big smile on her face.

'Just in a good mood Kate'

She hadn't bumped into Cheryl for atleast two days. It always left her in a good mood. The anxiety and unpredictability only came with Cheryl's arrival.

'Good. Menu for the day is in the kitchen. Angelo called in sick. I couldn't find a cover for him'

'Don't worry. I can make do without him' Kimberley replied, as she took her jacket off and hung it in the cloak stand.

'Grab something to drink and then start working. No need to tire yourself out early in the morning' She said with genuine concern. This new girl had been a blessing to the home. She not only efficiently managed her crew, but was also extremely good with the kids.

'Yes ma'am'

Katherine chuckled softly at the playful reply.

It was almost at the end of her shift, Kimberley got a call from Nadine.

'Do you know where Cheryl is? I want to wish her for her birthday'

'You're asking me?' Kimberley asked derisively. 'I didn't even know it's her birthday today'

'Sorry. It's just every birthday she pulls this disappearing act and we don't know where she vanishes'

'Oh, sorry, but I really have no idea'

'No worries. I'll see you later babe'

Kimberley bit her lips as she looked through the window at the expanse of trees in her view. Every birthday? Mysterious. She was intrigued.

The clock chimed four times.

She retrieved her coat from the stand and checked her appearance in the mirror again. As she walked past the play room for kids, she was stopped by a familiar voice.

'Oh that's right. I'm a Princess. Just like all of you. Where is me crown? '

She heard the sounds of kids laughter and shuffling of papers and crayons around. She peeped inside. She wasn't dreaming. It was Cheryl. Laughing like a child, looking carefree.

'Such a good lass, that wife of yours'

She jumped, startled. Katherine stood by her side, a smile glazed over her face as she watched the kids interact with Cheryl.

'How do you know her?'

Katherine raised an eyebrow at her questioningly.

'You don't know?'

Kimberley shook her head to show she was ignorant about this part of her wife's life.

'Her younger brother Gary was a special child. He was in this home. She wanted him to be with her, but her dad didn't allow her. When she turned 18, she wanted to take over his guardianship, but sadly Gary passed away that year after years of constant struggle to live'

Kimberley turned back to look at the girl who was now helping a child make a Tierra.

'She has been celebrating her birthday here ever since she turned 16. Nobody except the staff knows and I incline to keep it that way'

She said silently asking Kimberley not to share this with anyone else. Kimberley nodded her head in understanding.

Cheryl was now reading them a story, with a dazzling smile on her face.

Kimberley touched the glass as if to get closer to the girl.

'And pet, that is how the peasant started liking the Princess'

Cheryl turned the page over to a new chapter, unaware of how a new chapter had begun in her life.