Chapter Fourteen

"The bond can't be reversed unless the Queen dies." Tobias informed them.

Luc and Jackson were discouraged by the news.

"Isn't there something that we can do?" Jackson insisted.

"I'm afraid that the answer is negative my King."

"Thank you Tobias, you are excused," he said dismissing him from the room. "Come on Luc, I need to go check up on Maila, see if she's up."

"I have to train the Delta's." Luc replied as he got up to leave the room.

◇◇◇◇

Maila heard Jackson enter their chambers, she should have opened her eyes, she should have greeted him, but she didn't want to face him yet. He was her one true mate, their union was blessed by the gods, they had spoken words of eternal commitment to each other.

She was strong, she had to be stronger now that she was bound to the Crown. "That's it, no more self pity," she muttered to herself. She pushed the crimson red covers off of her and walked decisively towards the bathroom.

"Oh, you're up and about." Jackson said.

"Yes, and we need to talk strategy," she informed him, "First though, I need to take a quick shower."

Her hair was still damp as she stepped in their joined office. He was sitting on his rusty brown leather chair fully focussed on the parchment in his hands.

"Honey, I think it's time." She told him taking the seat across from him.

"Can I see it?" He asked.

She unwrapped the cloth on her palm and placed it face up on the mahogany desk for him to see. Jackson slowly traced his fingers over the orange gem forged in the middle of her palm, gently touching where skin met stone.

"Does it hurt?" He whispered.

"No, just a bit sore." She sighed, "it was the only way Jackson, I swear if there was another way out of it I would have taken it. I just wanted to make the voices quiet down for a while. I went to burry it deeper but I was ambushed by the undead, I was poisoned by their thorns, I was dying and they were going to snatch up the Crown...I led them right to it."

Jackson rushed to her side and held her tight in his embrace, "I know, I felt you dying. Let it all out."

"Are we still a team?" She asked hesitantly as she wiped the tears on his shirt.

"Was there ever a doubt about that?" He replied as he placed his arms on her cheeks and bend down to give her the most sensual kiss that made her weak in the knees. A kiss; that calmed down her nerves, a kiss; that made everything else disappear and they were the only two creatures alive on the face of the planet.

"Want to go over strategy?" He whispered in her ear.

"Later, much later. I missed you," she said as she pulled him closer to her.

◇◇◇◇

"The undead can only be killed by burning them. Ripping them to pieces only stalls them down. So we need to get hold of a lot flamethrowers; of all sizes. I want ones that soldiers can carry on them and ones, big ones, to be placed on vantage points on the Kingdom walls," Maila ordered.

"Sent Yumi to get the flamethrowers. We need to get word to the allies about the undead. Did we receive any news from them in relation to this?" She asked.

"I believe that you should be the one informing them of the situation. I'll ask Ava to arrange the calls if you are in agreement." Jackson told her.

"Arrange it. Also we will need to sent troops to our allies to aid them in defending their lands. How many can we sent?" She enquired.

"Roughly I would say about five hundred to a thousand but I need to run the number by Luc and Yana."

"Ok, good. Are we forgetting anything?"

"Yes." He said, "the most important variable of this impeding threat. You."

"You mean the Crown." Maila corrected him.

'Inform your dear husband that I am here to stay,' the Crown hissed in her mind.

"Yes, I mean the Crown. Sure, you look like you are controlling it for now but how long will you keep it in check?" He asked.

"As long as I have to," she replied firmly.

'As long as I let you,' the Crown taunted her.

"No Maila, that is not good enough. You need to go down to the Faraday cage and practise. You need to make sure you can use the powers without losing control to the Crown. I arranged for Tobias to oversee you."

"So it's more of a command than a suggestion," she said with her eyebrow raised.

"You can call it whatever makes you feel better, my Queen, just make sure you show up. Tobias will be waiting for you in the morning. Be there - six o clock sharp," he informed her.