EIGHT

CHAPTER 8
CORNER STORE CRASHING

FINALLY, Margo Richards did, indeed, chill out

FINALLY, Margo Richards did, indeed, chill out. She was done channeling her inner Nancy Drew. She didn't want to pry anymore into the Cullens' lives. Her little investigation was over. Done. It ended. As much as it killed her to not find out the answer to her burning questions, Margo learned to ignore her suspicions. It simply wasn't her business, just like Alice said. Besides – vampires? Was she really going to conclude that the answer to her questions was that vampires were invading her town? Please.

At the end of a rainy afternoon, Margo drove her van down to the Border Corner Store, right by the La Push reservation. Margo couldn't believe she hadn't noticed the Rez before, seeing as she came down to this convenience store every other week. For some reason, this was the only store that sold her aunt's favorite vegan bread. Worst part of it was, Jenny Fowler wasn't even a vegan. She just liked the taste of it more than the commercialized bread sold at the local supermarket.

She pushed through the entrance door as a bell rang above her head. Margo waved to the cashier and headed down the food aisle of the store. Out of all places in this tiny town, why was this corner store the only place to sell this stupid bread? Margo sighed as she picked up a loaf, throwing in a tiny basket that she picked up when she entered. She began to walk around, grabbing herself a box of buttered popcorn to microwave later. Margo then approached the soda fridge and tapped her finger on her chin. She opened the freezer door, about to choose a drink when she viewed to her left.

"Jacob?" She called out, closing the freezer.

The familiar Rez boy turned with a bottled Coke in his hands. His hair was free and incased in a blue hat. His rain jacket was soaked from the weather outside, but Jacob still had his large grin on his face. The two teenagers walked closer to each other, and Margo noticed he had a friend beside him, with brown hair pulled back and the same smooth russet-toned skin.

"Hey, Margo," Jacob greeted before gesturing to the boy beside him. "This is my friend, Embry."

Margo waved to the new friend. "Pleasure," she smiled. "What are you guys doing here during this storm?"

Jacob shrugged. "Could ask you the same thing."

"Munchies," Embry added, holding up a bag of chips. "We usually stop here after school."

Margo held up the loaf of bread in her basket. "Didn't realize this place was so close to the Rez. It has the only vegan bread in town for my aunt, who isn't a vegan."

Jacob opened his mouth to speak, but soon closed it when he realized that he didn't know what else to say in front of the pretty girl. Embry looked between his friend and Margo with suspicion. Sensing the awkwardness between the three, Margo slipped her wallet out her pocket and said, "Well, I should get going. I'm thinking about re-watching the Twilight Zone, which will acquire a few hours on my part."