FOUR

CHAPTER 4
NANCY DREW

THE inevitability of spring prom was upon the small high school of Forks, and though they were only just hitting February, students were already buzzing

THE inevitability of spring prom was upon the small high school of Forks, and though they were only just hitting February, students were already buzzing. Just about every boy was ready to ask out Isabella Swan, especially the ones in her supposed "friend group." Melinda, surprisingly, hadn't been asked yet, which Margo found quite perplexing. Margo, on the other hand, didn't plan on going to prom, and no, it wasn't because she knew no one would ask to be her date. Prom was dumb.

After a week and a half, Edward Cullen had shown up out of nowhere to school. Margo watched his car speed into his usual spot as her car sat in her own parking spot (finally). She was sipping on lukewarm coffee in a bright blue thermos when she spotted his personalized silver Volvo, with his siblings' cars parking right beside his. He was never usually like this – leaving for days during the school year. It was rare that any of the Cullens disappeared for more than a week, although everyone knew that Doctor Cullen liked to take them out camping on days with good weather. Still, the absence of Edward left Margo curious. What was his problem with the new girl?

The shock on Bella's face when she saw her lab partner in his seat was pretty hilarious. Edward had been gone for so long that Mr. Molina had forced Margo to be her partner a few times, allowing the two girls to get to know each other. Although, Bella wasn't exactly an open book, so their conversations normally consisted of their class' topic for the day or Margo just rambling.

"Onion roots – I'll have you all know – are extremely important," Mr. Molina started his lesson for the day. "And I know you've all been reading your textbooks regarding the topic for this week. So, separate and label the root samples into the phases of mitosis, and the first partners to get it right will win –" Mr. Molina picked up a painted, dried onion from his desk "– the Golden Onion."

This would be easy for Margo. She'd be the first one no problem. She was already looking into her microscope at the first sample, identifying it as prophase. Margo scribbled down the answer in her notebook, as well as a sketch of how it looked for extra credit. The assignment was simple for her, but she ended up getting distracted without knowing it. She found herself listening in on Edward and Bella's conversation, curiosity getting the best of her. Courtney – her mind – was so lost in the gutter that she was on the last sample when Mr. Molina declared the winners of the assignment. They were Bella and Edward.

Margo's mouth dropped as she stared at the two lab partners. She couldn't believe her own stupid intentions to find out the sudden mystery of her classmates cost her the prize. Mr. Molina threw the golden onion towards Edward, who caught it quickly. Their teacher than walked up to Margo with a confused expression. "I guessed that I'd be giving you the Golden Onion. What happened?"

"I ... I don't know," Margo choked out, turning her head to see Edward tossing the trophy between his hands. "Maybe I just wasn't fast enough."

Margo almost didn't hear the bell ring, and cautiously packed her things while watching Bella and Edward walk out talking. She spotted Melinda waiting outside for her, who was greeted by Angela Weber as she passed. Margo walked out the door with a furrowed brow.