TWENTY TWO

CHAPTER 22
THE IMPRINT

MARGO took at least a week to process the inevitability of her current situation

MARGO took at least a week to process the inevitability of her current situation. Instead of studying like she usually did, Margo found herself staying up past midnight most nights, laying in her bed and staring at the ceiling. She sometimes got nightmares of Jacob's shift, and it would occur over and over and over again. The small scar etched on her chin taunted her, a subtle reminder that her life had entered a realm of infinite possibilities. I mean, if werewolves and vampires were suddenly real, where was her fairy god mother? Surely, fairies had to be out there too.

Despite Margo wanting her space, Jacob stood outside her house every other night. But not as her Jacob. He stood out in the brisk air as his other form, keeping watch over his secret imprint's abode. He resided underneath Margo's window – where Jenny wouldn't be able to see – resting deep within the bushes, but Margo still saw him. His bright canine eyes were hard to miss.

As soon as Margo found out the truth about the Cullens, she slapped a big, fat "I told you so" sticker on Melinda's trig binder. Melinda was definitely not pleased to find out she was wrong this whole time about Margo's big mystery, and she didn't question the situation either. After finally believing in Margo's truth about Jacob and Embry, she was keen on believing anything nowadays. The two human girls weren't naïve by any means; they had finally opened their eyes to the reality of their town.

"So, if Edward is a vampire ..." Melinda's words trailed off, almost as if they got lost in the chaos that was their high school cafeteria. Students ran around in crowds, buzzing with the latest copy of the Feature. "Then that means that Bella Swan ... dated a vampire."

Margo's eyes darted across the room, spotting Bella sitting quietly with her friends. "Precisely," she answered. "It leaves me wondering now who exactly executed all those 'animal attacks' last year, because if it was all conducted by them, why had they never hurt Bella? It doesn't add up. But the Cullens are gone now ... for some reason. And oddly enough, we still have vampire problems in Forks."

"I thought the Cullens were the only –" Melinda lifted her fingers for quotations "– group of those things in town."

"Well, they were, but ..." Margo leaned her head in her hand and rubbed her temples. "I don't know. Maybe this is a reach here, but I think there are more of them. From what I've read, a Quileute wolf's phasing is caused by them crossing the scent of a vampire. Jacob could've only phased if there has been a vampire in town recently."

Melinda chewed at her bottom lip nervously. She looked down at the sandwich on her tray, suddenly not feeling hungry anymore. "I can't believe those words just came out of your mouth."

Margo closed her eyes for a moment and nodded. She didn't find her lukewarm pizza that appetizing either. She soon opened them again, replying, "Neither can I."