Scene 5: Spafford cottage (living room)

several months later

ANNA: (is in the living room and sits on the chair with baby Tanetta, then Annie walks in) Precious Annie, is something bothering you?

ANNIE: Mother, I came into the living room to ask you the same question. 

ANNA: Now, Annie. It is my responsibility to worry about you. Children ought not to worry about their parents. 

ANNIE: (looks worried) My apologies, Mother. I could not help but notice how worried you and Father looked once you received news about the fire in the city. 

ANNA: (sighs) Your Father and I have our reasons to be worried. Now there is no need to share the same burdens we bear. When you are older, you will understand how adults worry different from what a child worries about. (Horatio walks into the living room)

ANNIE: Father! (hugs Horatio) 

HORATIO: Hello precious, Annie. (smiles) 

ANNIE: Did you receive any news about the big fire?

HORATIO: (Smile fades away, then looks at Anna. This look worries Anna) Unfortunately. 

ANNIE: What did you hear, Father?

HORATIO: It is nothing for you to worry about my child. Can you make sure your other sisters are behaving while I speak with your mother?

ANNIE: Yes, Father. (Annie walks out of the living room)

ANNA: Horatio. What is the matter? 

HORATIO: I am aware of how devastating the fire was the other day. I suppose I refused to believe it. 

ANNA: Horatio...

HORATIO: (in tears) Countless lives were taken the other day. Countless people no longer have a home to claim as their own. 

ANNA: (in tears, then looks up) God, what is going on? (looks at her husband) Your investments. What about the investments, Horatio? 

HORATIO: All of the real estate investments I made are all gone, Anna. The fire has affected most of Chicago. 

ANNA: Don't you see, Horatio? This is what I feared.

HORATIO: What did you fear?

ANNA: Did you so easily forget? After we lost Little Horatio, I feared how we would suffer more. (closes her eyes, then opens them again) First our son, now the fire. What if we lose our daughters too?

HORATIO: Don't fail to remember what God said in His word. Did you forget what He says about fear? (wipes away his tears, then wipes away his wife's tears) 

ANNA: God has not given us the spirit of fear.

HORATIO: Correct. Do not be deceived my precious, Anna. For some reason, God has allowed this fire to occur not even a year after our son's passing. We cannot allow fear to cause us to distrust our Savior. 

ANNA: Do not let my fear deceive you. For years, I have trusted God and His divine nature. Yet, He has allowed us to lose so much in such a short time. Does God want to teach us a lesson out of all the sorrow we are facing?

HORATIO: I wish I knew. (Anna shakes her head in disbelief) Nevertheless, individuals are in need of aid. Our dear friends are experiencing more devastation from this fire far more than we are. God has convicted me to assist them with their needs.

ANNA: You are a just man, Horatio Sheppard. As was Job. Do not fail to remember this fact.