Scene 14: Boat on the Atlantic

HORATIO: (On his way to England to join Anna. In his cabin, he sits as a desk while he is silently praying) Lord, I pray for strength. I pray that while me and Anna have been separated, I pray that she confided in you. Lord, though we are childless, we still have You. (knock on the door) In Jesus' name, Amen. (opens his eyes) Come in! 

CREW MEMBER: Mr. Spafford, I hope I am not disturbing you.

HORATIO: Everything is well. What do you need to speak with me about?

CREW MEMBER: The captain would like to have a word with you on the deck.

HORATIO: (looks at the crew member with confusion)

(the deck)

CAPTAIN: (looks at the sea while Horatio walks next to him) 

HORATIO: Captain? 

CAPTAIN: A careful reckoning has been made and I believe we are now passing the very place where the Ville du Havre sunk. (Horatio's jaw drops a bit, then the captain leaves Horatio alone) 

HORATIO: (looks at the sea where his daughters died, tears up as memories of his daughters, and even his son, Little Horatio, fills his mind)

(Horatio's cabin) 

HORATIO: (Sits at his desk with a blank paper, ink and pen. He grabs the pen, puts it into the ink, then writes on the paper)

When peace like a river attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll,

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.