Scene 7: Spafford cottage (living room)

one month later 

HORATIO: (Anna, Annie, Maggie Lee, Bessie, and Tanetta are lined up next to each other to hear what Horatio has to say to them) I know you must all be wondering why I called you here. I am aware how excited you all must be to go on the trip.

BESSIE: I am truly excited, Father!

ANNIE: A trip to England is one of the best trips in the whole wide world.

HORATIO: (smiles) You might be correct precious, Annie. Yet, I have some unfortunate news. (smile fades away)

ANNA: One day before the trip, Horatio?

HORATIO: Unfortunately. Today, I was informed of a mandatory meeting I must attend in regards to the property I lost due to the fire which devastated most of Chicago.

MAGGIE LEE: Please do not tell us that we are not going to the trip.

BESSIE: No! Father, please! 

ANNIE: Is there some way you can attend this meeting after we come back from England? (the daughters still complain and Tanetta cries)

ANNA: Horatio, the girls were looking forward to this trip.

HORATIO: I am aware of that. Which is why I decided that I will stay and you will all go without me. 

ANNA: Horatio, it was your idea for the entire family to go to England and hear Evangelist Moody preach.

ANNIE: Father, though I want to go. I wouldn't feel right leaving without you. (Maggie Lee and Bessie nod their heads in agreement)

HORATIO: (smiles) I do not want my business to hinder our plans for the trip. Though I will be here as you all embark on the trip, I promise to follow you all in a few weeks.

ANNA: Are you sure?

HORATIO: Yes. I do not want my precious family to be affected by this sudden news. These next few weeks will be short and we will be back together in no time.