Lessons By the Ancestors

"Enzo, go back inside and wash your face properly."

His little lip stuck out in a pout but the boy obeyed Maliha's words and went back inside the tent to wash his face. once he was done she extended her hand out for him and he took it.

"We have a lot to do today."

"I'm going- with you?" He hesitated, looking up at Maliha in confusion. His little brows knitting together and his small teeth sinking into his bottom lip.

"Of course." She guffawed. "Where else would you go?" She smiled, patting his head.

She didn't expect a response from Enzo, her question had been rhetorical but Enzo had an answer that had Maliha's skin boiling.

"Normally, I just play in the forest until someone calls my name." His head was lowered as he played with his fingers.

"Is that what you want to do Enzo?" Maliha was angered that they had merely left the boy to himself day after day, with no one to guide him in the ways of the tribe.

It annoyed her but even know, after hearing what his usual routine of doing nothing but playing all day, she doubted whether he would actually want to do activities with her. Perhaps he had become so used to solitude that he now sought after it. Maliha hoped that wasn't the case.

"I can go play if you want me too?"

His big grey eyes stared up at her with hidden emotion that Maliha couldn't decipher.

"That wasn't my question Enzo, I asked if that was what you wanted to do?"

When he just stared up at her in confusion Maliha began prompting him for an answer.

"It's your choice Enzo."

Maliha wanted to eventually get Enzo into a routine where he spent time with her learning important lessons and trades and also learning to interact with the other children. She wanted Enzo to have friend his age, to be able to laugh and get up to naughty things with other children. To have someone he could tell his young secrets too but she didn't want to force him yet.

She wanted to allow him time to gradually adjust to all the changes she was planning to implement. It started with the daily washing of his face and skin, small things such as his self-care and maintenance and then she would eventually fill his mind with knowledge. She would make him a crucial part of this tribe because that was what he was to her. Enzo's presence was paramount to her desire to stay. Without him Maliha would only stay for a short time and these ideas of staying indefinitely would not exist.

"Enzo." She prompted gently. "There is no wrong or right answer."

"And it's my choice?" His voice was whimsical as if he had never been given the option to choose.

"Always, my love." She murmured, stroking one of his plaits that dangled to his chin.

"I want to stay with you." And Enzo meant more than just in the context of this conversation, Maliha could clearly see that in the set of his delicate face.

He looked scared to hope that she would keep him but hope he did.

"Alright, let's go." She quickly pecked him on her a forehead before gathering his small had in hers and heading out for their day

Now that their stomachs were full, the lure for food wasn't as strong but Maliha was aware that she would be in need of vegetables and meat to cook for their lunch and supper just like she would need pots to cook them in.

She would have to trade with the people of the tribe and since she had only brought a small bag of items that had only the small necessities but she had talents that she could trade.