Chapter 2 - Amy

“She’s such a cow!” Poppy complained.

“I know, right?” I agreed passionately. “Who gave her the right to sign us up for that? I mean, I suck at science.”

“No, you don’t!” Poppy exclaimed. “You get, like, A*s in all the sciences, like all the time!”

Before I could respond, I was cut off by the shrill voice of Miss Lily, our geography teacher. “Poppy and Amy, please be quiet!”

“Sorry miss,” Poppy apologised. Gee, all the teachers at this school are so annoying.

“What I wouldn’t give for one lesson of silence from you two,” she muttered darkly.

Honestly, it was like living in a nunnery the way these teachers acted. I mean, one conversation in class won’t muck up all our GCSEs, for crying out loud!

Poppy disturbed my train of thought by prodding me hard in the shoulder blade. “Amy, what are we supposed to be doing?” she whispered.

“Honestly, Poppy, how could you have missed that? It was . . . um . . .” Wait – what were we supposed to be doing? “Hang on a sec, Popcorn, I’ll ask.” Poppy rolled her eyes.

“Miss!” I said, waving my hand in the air to make sure I caught her full attention. “What are we doing?”

Miss Lily sighed. “Now ladies, if you had been listening, you would know that we are doing the exercises on page 193 of the textbook.”

I opened the book with a thud and flicked to these ‘exercises’ of hers – to be honest, they were more like torture games, used on us for her own twisted enjoyment. However, once I had looked at the topic of the page, I realised that I had absolutely no idea about the subject.

“Poppy,” I said, “what is this?!”

“It’s all Greek to me,” she joked.

I scowled at her, then whacked her on the arm.

“Ok, ok, it was a joke – ow – I thought you’d know,” she admitted.

“Oh. Well I’ll ask Miss Lily then,” I said. “Miss Lily! I don’t get the exercise! Can you help us?”

“You don’t understand because you were talking, girls,” she scolded us.

“Well, what should we do?”

She smiled knowingly. “Now ladies, just look in the textbook.”

Ugh. The bloomin’ textbook. I think Miss Lily was practically in love with her precious textbook.

“She should just marry the textbook and get it over with already,” I commented to Poppy.

“I know,” she agreed. “But, anyway, what are we doing at lunch?”

I pulled a face. “We’ve got to go to that stupid science meeting.”

Then the bell rang. Poppy frowned. “Only one more lesson till torture time with Ms West.”

________________________________________________________

Can we just stress here that Tom is completely fictional? OK? Everyone got that?

Good :)