Chapter 18: Christian Principles

Every morning I heard Storm singing gospel songs and saw him reading the Bible and praying before going to his work. Halos nakasanayan ko na 'ata na gigising ako sa umaga at maririnig ko ang boses niya at ang tunog ng gitara. That was his so-called devotion and quiet time.

Ngayon naman kasabay ko siyang kumakain ng breakfast at bihis na bihis siya. I knew he was going to church. It was usual to him.

"Gusto mong sumama?" he asked. He always invited me every Sunday to come with him but I always refused.

I shook my head.

He nodded and took his shoulder bag that contained his laptop and other stuffs. "Una na 'ko," paalam niya. I just nodded.

Hanggang kailan kaya kami ganito? tanong ko sa isip ko.

I thought about how long I have to endure this feeling - the feeling that we had different worlds, even though the truth was we just breathed the same air. His lifestyle and principles were different from mine. We were not compatible, so we didn't get along.

It was about four o'clock in the afternoon when Storm arrived home.

"It's Christy's Birthday. She invites us to come. Get dressed. Magdala ka rin ng pampalit, it's a night swimming," he told me.

I quickly got to my feet and prepared my things. Kanina pa kasi ako naiinip sa bahay. That was why it was a good idea to come to a party.

I wore a simple white crop top shirt and fitted black ripped jeans.

It was almost six o'clock when we left. We went to a large modern house that had lots of fiber glasses. Storm pressed the doorbell button beside the gate. Thereafter, a man with brownish hair and a pair of blue eyes opened the gate for us. He looked like an American model. He was undeniably handsome.

"Bro!" The guy hugged Storm. "Oh, you brought your wife!" masayang sabi nito at ngumiti sa akin. "I'm Bryan, just call me Bry or Kuya Bry. Storm and I were church mates." He offered his hand to me, and I shyly accepted it. He had probably attended our wedding, but I didn't remember him.

He invited us to come in, and we headed to the backyard of the house. There I saw a square-shaped pool. There were some people swimming in the pool, some were grilling on the side, and some were talking to each other.

Nilapitan kami ni Ate Christy nang matanaw kaming papunta sa kinaroroonan nila. "Hi, buti dumating kayo," nakangiting salubong niya sa amin ni Storm. She hugged me.

"Happy birthday," I shyly greeted her. Nahihiya ako dahil wala akong dalang gift.

"Thanks!" she responded with a smile. She really looked pretty and kind. I liked her curly hair.

Everybody stopped from what they were doing as their attention turned to us.

"Kuya Storm!" masayang bati nila kay Storm.

"Siya ba 'yung wife mo, Kuya?" a girl asked. Finally, they noticed my presence.

"Yes, this is Fara," Storm introduced me to them.

"Hi!" they greeted me. I just smiled at them.

"Infairness, ang ganda, huh!" the girl with long, straight hair said to Storm.