Chapter 5: Because of Jesus

STORM

The sun already went down to the horizon line. I already changed my wet clothes because the breeze from the sea at night was cold. Bry, Joss, Daniel and I gathered in a one place, outside the cottage. We were seated on the wooden chairs facing the view of the sea. The moon and stars were reflecting on the water, so it was sparkling. The elders were now in their room, getting some rest. I didn't know where the girls were now, but they were together. Some youths and leaders of the church didn't join us here because some of them had classes and work. Therefore, those who attended Pastor Alvin's special day were those who weren't busy.

The sound of Daniel's guitar matched with the relaxing atmosphere of the night. He was playing a finger style.

"Softdrinks, bros!" Brother Joss told us while carrying a one case of softdrinks; and then he distributed those to us one by one.

"Thanks!" I told him when he handed me one. It was already open.

"Tagay na!" Daniel humorously exclaimed while raising his softdrink.

We laughed at him.

"Have you already tasted a real alcohol?" I asked him. I was curious, because he grew up in the church like Brother Joss.

"Hindi pa, Kuya. Siguradong hindi na ako pauuwiin sa amin kapag nakitagay ako," natatawang sabi niya. His dad was strict.

"Samantalang ako, noong araw palaging lasing kapag umuuwi sa bahay," Bryan said and then let out a chuckle. "Palaging umiiyak si Mama kapag umuuwi ako nang ganoon," nakangising sabi niya, tila inaalala ang pangyayari. "But thank God, He changed me."

"Thank God, He changed us," I said with a smile.

They all nodded with grateful smiles on their faces.

"I've missed this kind of conversation," Bryan said. "I just experience this with you, guys. All I could hear at my work place were green jokes and nonsense topics. It's so hard to be around with non-believers."

"I feel you, bro," Joss replied.

"That's why it is very important to be filled with God's word everyday in order to avoid temptations and distractions from the enemy," Bryan said.

"Yeah. Kapag sa isang araw wala akong devotion, sira ang buong araw ko," natatawang sabi ko. "The old me is haunting me. Therefore, we need to be on our guard."

"Dito lang ang daming temptation, e. Kung hindi lang tayo mga Kristiyano baka nanchicks na tayo dito," ani Joss, dahilan para magtawanan kami.

"Look at those girls," ani Daniel at nginuso ang isang direksyon. Napasunod kami ng tingin doon. We saw the two ladies who wore two-piece swimsuit near our location. They were making poses and taking pictures of each other. They had a nice body, but it would be better if they would cover it.

"Hindi kaya nilalamig 'yang mga 'yan?" Daniel said with a poker face.

We just laughed.

"Just let them. That's what they want," I told them. "Pero kung concern ka talaga, lapitan mo, bigyan mo ng towel, and then tell them, 'Halikayo, ipapakilala ko sa inyo si Cristo,'" biro ko.

They bursted into laughter.

"Idol na kita, Daniel, 'pag ginawa mo 'yon," Joss teased him.

"Alam ninyo, mga bro. Gusto ko sanang gawin 'yon, ang kaso, baka di na ako makauwi. Pogi Problem," ani Daniel nang may pagmamayabang, ngunit alam naming biro lamang niya 'yon kaya tinawanan lang namin siya.