ein

(Picture is Kara)

Kara let out a giggle as she was lifted off her feet, placed over Bjorn's shoulder as he ran up the hill to the apple trees as she hung down his back. "Bjorn, pull me up." She laughed, feeling his hands grab onto her legs after pulling Kara into the right position on his shoulder.

"As you wish, little sister." He smiled but groaned when Kara grabbed onto his ears, the girl letting out a small giggle when he pinched behind her knees before she placed her hands in his blonde hair. "I wish you could meet my father, Kara. He is amazing, I think you would love him. Have I told you the story of how he stole our mother's heart?" Bjorn asked as he felt his sister's fingers playing with his hair, the girl rolling her eyes at the question she had heard a million times in her entire life. She nodded and let out a sigh as she closed her eyes, enjoying the breeze that ran over her face.

"Yes, Bjorn. He killed a bear with a spear and strangled a hound with his bare hands." She whispered, braiding his hair with her eyes closed as he patted her leg while a grin stretched over his face at her annoyance at the story. She opened her eyes when the sound of someone talking reached the sibling's ears, causing Bjorn to pull his sister from his shoulders. Lagertha and Sigvard came into view further away from them, both of the siblings ducking quickly as they moved closer.

"Can you hear them?" Bjorn asked, seeing the girl shake her head from the corner of his eye as she watched her father grow angry at her mother when Lagertha spoke.

"No, but she is making him an-" Before Kara could finished her sentence Sigvard had slapped Lagertha, making the woman fall to the ground. Kara flinched and Bjorn shook his head, clenching his jaw as he pulled his sister to his chest as they watched Sigvard pull Lagertha to her feet before Bjorn moved Kara down and away from the hill. "Why does he need to be like this?" The words held how frustrated the young girl was, her brows furrowed as she shook her head before Bjorn looked down at her, placing his hand on her head.

"He is not a nice man, Kara." He whispered, patting her head before he lifted her up to his shoulders once again. "Luckily, you will never have a husband like this. If you do and he puts a hand on you, dear sister, he will cease to have hands." Kara laughed as Bjorn began hopping towards the hut, leaving the incident behind them as he carried his sister home.

A slight shake of her shoulder was all it took to wake Kara. The young girl turned over, her hand clutching the knife Bjorn had given her as she prepared for who might be sitting on the edge of her bed. She loosened her hold on the knife when she saw it was her mother smiling down at her daughter as she pushed Kara's hair out of her face, an eyebrow quirked in amusement as she took in the small knife held by her daughter

"Get up, little one. You are coming with me and your brother." Kara sat up as she looked at her mother, letting herself relax as she took in her mother's armor.

"Where are we going?" Lagertha stood as she grabbed the tunic and pants she had made for her daughter, setting it down beside Kara as the girl stood from her bed.

"We are going to help Ragnar. Hurry and change, but be silent. Your father is asleep." Kara nodded, waiting for Lagertha to leave before she began to change. Kara pulled on her cloak before she reached for her bag and began to put a few pieces of clothes, a bag of rune stones into the bag, closing it and slipping her knife into her boot when the door opened. Bjorn walked in and crossed his arms, looking over the room before his gaze landed on his sister.

"Ready?" He asked, taking her bag as she walked to him with a nod. Bjorn led his sister outside quietly, lifting Kara onto his horse before he hopped on behind her.

"How long is the ride?" Kara asked as she lifted the hood of her cloak, her blue eyes meeting those of her mother's when they stopped beside where Lagertha waited on her own white mare.

"We will be there shortly after sunrise." The young girl nodded and let out a breath, leaning into her brother's chest as the moved forwards, leaving Hedeby behind them to find and help Ragnar Lothbrok.