Chapter 3 - Back to the Future

"Ooof!" As a weight hit her chest, Lena's eyes flew open. One arm slapped down colliding with something soft, the other pinned under the rest of whatever had struck her. Panicked, remembering the hand of the goddess reaching out for her, Lena scrambled backward dragging the heaviness along with her. She felt something grip her shoulder as something else put pressure on her legs. Just when the fear was becoming overwhelming, confusion replaced it.

"Mommy!" The voice was young. "Mommy, wake up, it's breakfast time."

The face of a boy in the six to seven range came into view as he climbed up next to Lena, placing his hands on her shoulders. His face became so close to hers as go out of focus. Shaggy brown hair hung over equally brown eyes. Leaning even closer, he smiled and planted a somewhat sloppy kiss on her lips and pushed back. His smile was one of pure adoration as he beamed down at her.

Still half-asleep, half-stuck in her dream, she shook her head. "Oh, Dear God. What's going on?"

"It's your anniversary!" The child responded, his enthusiasm still unbridled. "It's time for pancakes! Come on. Come on. Get up!" Sliding off of Lena the bed revealed he was actually fairly slender and quite tall, wearing Superman Pajamas that gapped slightly around the midsection when he stretched. The boy took Lena's hand, pulling and tugging and received nods in return as she sat up, yawning and stretching, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she looked around the room.

The bedroom was large. The furniture here was a light oak, the walls a silvery gray. Light streamed through the wall to ceiling sliders that opened to a balcony. Giving into the child's urgings, she slid her fingers across the soft duvet cover, pushing it out of the way. Lena climbed out of bed stretching one more time with several cracks of her back.

Hand to the side of her head, she said, "Oh, I'm in National City. This is my home, house, in National City." She blinked several times, looking down at the boy and giving him a gentle smile.

"Are you okay, Mommy? Did you have a nightmare?"

"Oh, I did my love. It was a doozy, too."

Wrapping his arms around her middle, he rested his head against her body and said, "It's all right, Mommy. I've got you."

The gesture was sweet and comforting, and Lena reached down stroking the boy's hair. "Thank you, Aiden. You are the sweetest little boy ever. Well, not so little. At the rate you're growing, you'll be taller than me soon, won't you?"

He grinned up at her. "Do you feel better?"

"I do. Your hugs always make me feel better."

Instantly he jumped back, grinning madly. "Good. Pancake time."

"Are these special anniversary pancakes?" Lena grinned, allowing herself to be led by the hand barely pausing when she caught sight of her reflection. She dragged her hand through her hair and pulled down her black nightie that hung to about knee-length. As the boy tugged again, she said, "Easy there. Mommy's barely awake. Maybe you should carry me."

"I think you're too big," he replied, looking at her skeptically.

"Not for much longer. You're growing up so fast." She stopped, pulling her robe off the back of the door and putting it on. "Okay, lead me to these pancakes."

"Mommy, wait," Aiden said. "You forgot your Neuron."

"My...? Oh, right." Lena laughed to herself. "This morning I feel like I'd forget all my neurons if my head weren't attached."

Wandering back to the bedside table, Lena found what looked like a watch with a plain silver face and a red band. She put it on, the watch screen coming to life with the face of a woman and speaking.