Chapter 13

On the walk home another school day, Jacob suggested we change our route to the neighborhood. I was a little confused as to why he wanted to suddenly switch courses. I didn't want my thoughts to wander too far, so I decided not to dwell on it too much.

It was nearing winter now, and that meant Christmas was bound to be lingering in every store in town. I've always liked the idea of Christmas, streets swarmed with bright faces in high spirits, angelic voices of choirs singing in churches, and most importantly, the overall feeling of joy. The smell of cinnamon candles burning, gingerbread houses being crafted by the delicate hands of children, and the snow. Snow was probably the most beautiful thing about nature next to the ever changing colors of autumn leaves.

My family never really celebrated the holiday, well, not since my mom found someone else to boss us around and strip us of our happiness. I may not get anything for christmas, but that was okay. All I ever really cared about was the fact that others were enjoying themselves.

I wasn't really paying attention to where we were headed, considering I was too involved in my thoughts to acknowledge anything. So, when Jacob's slow and steady pace came to a stop, I was left standing a few feet ahead of him in confusion and a little concern. I turn around and furrow my eyebrows, only to see him smirking at me.

"Have you ever been ice skating?" he asks, with a glint in his eye.

I know that look. I know exactly where this is going. I shake my head 'no' at him and tuck my bottom lip between my teeth. I've never been ice skating before, and I'm pretty sure he already knew that. I started back down the path to our house when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I spin around and lock eyes with my best friend. He's up to something, I can see it in his mischievous eyes.

He gave me a toothy grin and shoved a bag containing unknown items. I raise my eyebrow in confusion, only to receive another smirk. I open the bag and rolled my eyes at the items inside.

He's seriously trying to take me ice skating? I thought. I'll admit, it was a really sweet gesture. I look out to the pond covered in ice, with a blanket of frozen snow over it. I ponder for a moment, deciding whether or not I should go. I didn't want to look back at Jacob for reassurance, because I know I would give in without temptation. His pleading eyes alone are enough to make me give in to his request. I decided I'd take the risk and took a quick glance at his hopeful expression. Big mistake, because I was already regretting taking so long to reply.

I let out an exaggerated sigh in defeat. Watching his face light up was probably the highlight of my day. I'll admit, seeing my best friend happy changes my whole perspective on everything around me. I still wasn't used to the company, but he made it all the better. I managed to mirror his grin and pull the skates out of the bag in my hands.

Shaking my head slightly, I added, "You better not let me fall on my face J." He scoffed and snached the bag from my grasp.

"I wouldn't count on it." He joked with a playful roll of his eyes. I tried my best not to roll my eyes at his sassiness considering today he was being extra edgy. I giggled under my breath at the memories of the past few hours of our day together at school.

A/N: yes it's a filler chapter fite me I'm busy with school. I promise next chapter will be longer. I'm sorry for the long a$$ wait.

Panda :3