[23] LOSS OF INNOCENCE

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

SHE'S TALKING AGAIN

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

xxiii. togetherness

--------------------------------------------------------------

THEY RUSH TOWARDS THE WELL, staring down into the empty void. All of their breathing heavy and dirt covering their bodies.

"I know what I'm gonna do for my summer experience essay," Richie says, staring at the darkness, breathless.

"Yeah. Just your average summer shit," Veronica adds, beginning to fall into Richie. Her adrenaline had washed away and now she could feel her ribs worse than ever.

"Guys... Guys, the kids are floating down..." Eddie whispers, staring up at the once floating children slowly descend.

These were the kids they grew up with, the kids they knew. It was breaking their hearts to watch as each child drop to the ground.

Bill walks off to the tall pile of items, his eyes catching a glimpse of a sliver of yellow. Shakily, he approaches it and extends his hands out, pulling it out of the mountain and instantly he lets out a sigh of defeat. It was Georgie's raincoat. The raincoat he where when he went to take his boat sailing.

Letting out a choked sob, he clutches it to his chest as tears begin to fall down his cheeks. All the Losers looked over to him, watching as he kneels down the ground and sobs over the coat.

Veronica tears up, watching their leader crumble - their leader, but more importantly, the boy who she considered a brother. Stumbling over to him, rubs aching before she falls down next to him and wrapping her arms around him tightly.

Soon, the rest joined. Their arms entangled with dirt and grime and tears staining their clothes as they all sobbed together. For their losses, for the missing children, for Georgie, for themselves and of course, the loss of their innocence to the hands of a clown.

And so, they stayed like that for a while. Their tears seeping onto each other's skin and breathing heavy - covered in grey water and dirt. But, that didn't seem to matter to them. They didn't seem to have anything to say because all they were grateful for and all that they needed was right there.

They were there, sat in the sewers entrapped in one another's arms and despite the circumstances, they have never felt safer. In all their lives, many things didn't seem to make sense. But this, this moment, these people, they did. It was the only thing that would ever make sense to them.