Chapter 6: Isolation

Levi's POV:
Petra left as she headed back to the kitchen area where Sasha was murmuring incoherently. The two girls comforted each other as they tried to calm themselves. A few minutes later, Jean came over who despite being shaken by the attack at the previous base, he came to my call. He had survived the shooting, but we had no time to rest or grieve. His sense of duty and justice overrode his humanitarian emotion for death. He looked at me a saluted proudly, a glint shining in his eyes. He looked up to me ever since I saved him from his father's clutches, an evil man who had beat his mother to death and would have taken Jean's life as well had I not stepped in all those years ago.

His fond taste of medicine was a blessing, yet I wonder if allowing him to stay with me was a wise choice or not.

"I need you to look over the inspector," I said sternly. Jean wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"Again?" he exclaimed. "Didn't Rizo already do that?"

"She wrapped him up, but I'm not having her do another examination," I answered. "Make it quick though. I have places to be."

Jean sighed and said, "As you wish, sir." He scrambled into the room where I heard dishes clinking around. Eren must have finished his food already. I suddenly chuckled lightly hearing Jean shout profane comments. However, I quickly found myself leaning over precariously towards the door. I didn't hear Eren retort back once. Jean's complaints about how Eren kept getting busted up were abruptly becoming apparent. He was desperate to get a response, yet Eren didn't seem to be reacting. Eventually, Jean began reciting the typical questions like 'Does it hurt?' or 'How do you feel?' but Eren did not utter a single sound. I wonder if I was too harsh. He's still a young boy and yet has so much responsibility he never wanted.

What a troublesome brat.

Jean left the room a while later closing the door behind him. He somewhat glared at me which I returned. He grunted and waved himself away, knowing I had eavesdropped anyway.

"I hope you know what you're doing," he sneered. "That brat may be busted up but he's nearly whole again. Your plans typically end well though, and I'm willing to bet on this one as well." I nodded and asked him to send Oluo up after. The ragged kid rubbed his eyes and grumbled as he came to me.

"What do you need?" he asked.

"Watch over the inspector while I'm at the meeting. Under no circumstances is he to leave unless securely held and escorted. The only places he will need are the restrooms and showers. Speaking of that, get him clean sometime before midnight. I'll return around then," I said.

"Yes, sir," Oluo grinned. "You can count on me." Suddenly he flinched as I leaned in closer.

"Also, Oluo," I started. "Keep your private affairs with Petra away from my kitchens, all of them." Oluo stammered in embarrassment as I left him utterly broken. I smirked a little as I heard him curse immensely after I had turned the corner.

The sunset was beginning to cover the city in a blanket of dusk. There was a new moon meaning less light for people to recognize me, but I still threw on a black hoodie anyway. I left the base and began to weave through tunnels using the sewers as windows until I safely reached above ground. Almost immediately, I exited the alley and melted into the streets. People bustled around me and chattered relentlessly. It was a blessing when I finally saw a large office building come into view. It seems having friends in high places came in handy for once.