Chapter 10: Law and Order

Hanji's POV:
Sometimes it felt like an eternity had passed the more I stared down the red traffic light. Something told me Levi had not heeded my words. If he could only be a little more patient on this matter, I could have taken them away. While a portion of the city was under my control, it was no secret I worked as a forensic scientist under the police department for many years. Grisha Yeager was my superior officer and my leader under the government roof. But, I had no doubt he knew who had been shot that night and that Levi would come. But as cautious as Levi was, he was blind to the force he was facing. It's a shame such an intuitive individual like him had to be ensnared by fate within this cruel world.

I slammed on the gas pedal as the green light popped on and sped through the streets before perfectly parallel parking outside the station. I stopped out and began to head upstairs, sliding my key card through numerous series of verification devices. Then, I descended the upper floors. I suddenly felt a chill as I made my way to the lab. Four guards and two other scientists were scattered throughout the hallway. I slowly pulled out a small syringe with a colorless liquid. I dripped a small bit onto each person as I passed ignoring the panic and crash of the bodies as the poison seeped through the clothes and immediately traveled into the skin and sever brain connections. When I saw the lab door closed, I feared the worst. I walked in and suddenly felt myself heating up.

Levi's body lay on the operating table.

"Dr. Yeager," I said in a monotone voice. The man looked up and smiled jovially as he glanced up from laser cutting Levi's bones.

"Ah, Dr. Zoe!" he exclaimed. "I hadn't realized you were working today. Could you do me a favor and grab some more specimen jars from under the cupboard? This man's organs will be transplanted later. Poor guy had a fatal car crash earlier today." I nearly scoffed at his sugared words. Most cases, that statement might have been true downstairs. However, here his words were Satan's reincarnate. Every sin begins with a lie, hopelessness, and then the devil himself. Grisha took that to heart.

Gradually, I leaned down to open the cupboard but instead of a container, I grabbed small vile of a purple liquid. I replaced the tube of my syringe in minuscule moments before walking up to him. Without missing a heartbeat, I plunged the needle into the nape of his neck and watched as his eyes rolled back and he crumpled down to the floor unconscious. I glanced at Levi, angry at him and at myself. Levi seemed like a guy who could never die. He was looking at a goal burning beyond any of our sights. I admired him for that and felt honor to follow him this far. Restarting a human life was Grisha's ultimate goal. It worked with others, but it was known he couldn't save himself.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to me.

I pulled Grisha's body aside tossing him into the hallway and called up a few others. I scrambled the counter and found multiple journals as the phone rang. I scanned them and found what I never wanted to see: Grisha's notes on human experimentation. I took a deep breath before a click fell on the other line.

"Hello?" a voice said.

"Nanaba, it's me. Listen, I need you to do something for me. I need you to bring Eren to the lab undetected," I demanded. "We have no time for idle chatter. This is an urgent matter. I understand Erwin will be rather defiant, however tell him it's a code red. I don't care if people recognize Eren or not, but get him here as quickly as possible." I hung up and returned to the paperwork. My fingers skimmed the pages until I found the bulk of patient files. I nearly cursed as I saw pictures of my old friends. To think, Grisha would experiment on Eren and take the life of his first son and his wife to achieve human success. Then, I saw another case: Kuchel Ackerman. My breath was nearly taken away with how much she reminded me of Levi.

"You had a lovely mother, Levi," I mumbled. "We might not have been able to save her, but I swear on my life, I will save you. I know this is wrong, and I should just leave life and death to its own forces. But, I cannot leave you like this. It isn't fair." I worked here long enough to know that human actions and morals are a skewed value in this profession. Despite that, everyone of us are humans. With that, we have human emotions and comprehend selfishness beyond what people believe.