Chapter 1: Prisoner

Eren's POV:

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Eren Yeager," a masculine voice said. I lifted my head as the new voice protruded the room. My wrists and ankles were bound to the chair with strong chains and a metal bar was shoved in my mouth as my teeth curled around the metal, gripping it like a dog would a bone. A blindfold was coiled about my eyes practically mocking me to see the man before me. But, I knew who it was even if I didn't see him.

Levi Ackerman.

He was the man who I sought to arrest. The man was powerful and held the souls of many victims under his skin. I knew him by many names. Demon, devil, executioner, monster, grim reaper, and many more. However, Levi was what I soon came to know him as.

I growled in annoyance knowing he was getting a kick out of my condition.

"Tsk, always running into adult matters you shouldn't be touching, aren't you, brat?" I felt strong calloused hands undo the blindfold and release the gag. I sucked in a breath as light filtered into my irises, and I leaned back relieved at the small freedom. However, I was not pleased to see those whitewashed grey eyes glinting in amusement when my vision focused.

"You little shit," I gasped. "Why don't you save yourself the trouble and turn yourself in?" Levi scoffed and pulled up a chair opposite to me. He quietly wiped away the drool I had accumulated on my chin before sitting down.

"I... am giving humanity a new world," he said with a sigh. "If I turned myself in, all my efforts would be for nothing. The people here need me."

"You're nothing but a killer," I spat. "You really think I'll believe in some new world you're building. If you're going to kill me now, then get it over with."

"You're quite eager to die for an inspector. But this, Yeager, is no mere detective game. So what if innocent blood is consumed by the fire I ignite? The people will grow from the ashes," he explained.

"You're a psycho, Levi. Insane and arrogant."

"Oh shut it. What I do and for what reason is nothing you can ever understand," Levi sneered.

"What makes you think that I don't understand?"

"Simple really," Levi muttered. "You don't understand the law of society and the people who live in it."

"Oh really? Explain it then, wise guy," I said.

"Fine then. Let me ask you this, Eren. Why is it that there are people who accept society and others who see it as restricting? People make society evolve, and yet the people are the ones who restrict society advancement by setting laws. These are laws which desire consistency. The law does not protect the people, Eren. Upstanding citizens like yourself are not protecting the people like you claim. Haven't you realized that the true notion of society's heroes, police officers, military soldiers, firefighters, even inspectors like yourself, all of you are fighting to protect the law? Without the systematic existence that is acknowledged by the presence of people, chaos cannot be culled. Or rather, I suppose it is more accurate to say the devastation is eluded. Why do some people accept it as relevant to their lives and others fear it? Some people are able to break this law with fear while others fancy it as fable and mock its existence. Is law to be shirked by the people who enforced it in the first place? The law of people is the people protect the law, but in abiding by a non-biased law brings construed laws in which all have adhered; in turn, law ceases to exist. Now, tell me, Eren, what are your thoughts on such a matter?"

I pondered Levi's words. Where did law and society play in his demeanor?

"For what it's worth, I see this world as nothing more as what it stands for. We protect the law, that is true. However, I believe it does protect the people. It provides a sanctuary against the horror wrought by those who are asymmetrically inclined. We protect them from people like you who want to erase that shield for the citizens," I answered carefully. Levi absentmindedly smirked at my notion and chuckled.

"Asymmetrically inclined," he repeated. "Those two words hold more meaning than you know. And perhaps, that is all you will ever know." With that, Levi stood up and put away his chair before reapplying the gag despite my struggles, but eluded the blindfold. However, I felt his hand on my nape and instinctively leaned back yearning to be touched there again. As the bindings were securely nestled once more, Levi whispered in my ear.

"You're an intriguing individual, inspector Eren Yeager. I look forward to speaking with you in the future. Be prepared for the next movement in this sonnet." His footsteps echoed into silence as I was left alone once more. Levi Ackerman confused me more than anyone else I had dealt with in the past. He shows no fear of me or anyone who comes before him. Yet, something scares him. There was an edge to his voice like a hint of weariness that a cornered mouse would show to a cat. Even so...

Why am I the one shaking?