Chapter Twenty-four

~UNEDITED~ Excuse some mistakes if there's any. :')

Copyright © zylgnagnaba 2014

Four days. I’ve been waiting to spot any familiar car parking around the vicinity of ‘Just Being Random’ for four days already, but to no avail. I’ve been spending the last four days – including today – being perched behind the counter where it was much closer to the window instead of my usual spot at my desk at the corner of the shop. 

Each time any vehicle would pass by the shop, my head would quickly snap and crane my head, following its direction and hoping it’d stop just a little distant from our building. I know Joanie have already caught on this odd behaviour as she would give me a look of curiosity and pure concern. I just hope she doesn’t think I’m going crazy.

“Are you okay?” Joanie’s voice sifts through my raging thoughts. I quickly repel my gaze from the outside to look at her rearranging the sets of garments on the racks across the counter.  I hadn’t known I was constantly tapping the pencil lid on the countertop until she darts her sight to my fidgety motion.

“Ye-yeah. Why wouldn’t I be?” I ask her but not before I swallow my own spit. My eyes would travel back and forth from her to the window, overlooking the busy street.

“Are you waiting for someone?” Her eyebrows pull together and I instantly feel my heart race. An instant flashback of our last night in Ireland appear like a bolt of lightning right before my eyes – when Harry held me in his arms as we swayed to the music just like the old times, our tight embrace, when I cried on his shoulder, our kiss – and I press my lips together to give Joanie a tight smile.

“Actually, Joanie, I have somewhere else to be. Is that okay?” I say to her while I take my time to collect my things and put them inside my bag.

She nods. “Sure. Just take care and call me whenever you need anything.” I give her an incredulous look once she winks at me. What could possibly be running through that insane head of hers? The way her suggestion falls out of her mouth tells me that she thinks I won’t be back shortly – which is my plan actually.

I walk around the counter with long and quick strides until halfway towards the door of the shop. My heart is in a crazy fit in my chest and my head is spinning.

“Whatever, Joanie.” I grumble under my breath and she only rolls her eyes at me.

Just as I poise my fingers around the knob, she stops me just to pull me in an overly dramatic embrace. I look at her in amusement without saying a word. What’s with her?

“You’re finally doing something right in your life, Valerie. I’m so proud of you.” She says, squeezing my arms with much affection that it makes me cringe.

I let out a chuckle and roll my eyes from side to side, feigning annoyed but I hug her again anyway.

“You’re crazy, Joanie.” I whisper to her ear through a breath and she giggles before she could finally release me. She opens the door for me this time and literally shoves me out the door before waving her hand at me. She wipes a fake tear above her cheek and I roll my eyes for the last time as I turn on my heels.

Clutching my bag on my side, I hail a cab. When I climb in the backseat, I dictate the familiar address to the cabbie and that’s how I watch my gallery fades from my sight in a wisp, knowing that I’d be back in that building as a whole different person – back to the way I was before, probably even better.

As the cab pulls up to a familiar lot, I instantaneously feel the nostalgic attack of shivers upon my skin as I ogle on the architectural design of the shelter that served as a home for me within three months. Fresh salty tears sting my eyes as I push the car door open and step on to the tarmac.