Postpartum

It had ended with a bang. Fighting, swearing, and punching. Lonnie was gone, Joyce left with a one-week-old baby, and a traumatized Jonathan. To be honest, Joyce had felt safer when her family wasn't around Lonnie, and he wasn't much help anyway.

It wasn't until Joyce had almost fallen asleep at the wheel when she realized things were harder than she expected. A desk sergeant on his way home had found Joyce pulled over on the side of the road when he called it in.

The cop could see the dark purple bags under the young mother's eyes the moment she rolled the window down. After explaining that she had just had a long day, the officer asked her to at least get checked over at the hospital to make sure she was alright.

--

It was a long and dreadful hour, sitting in the emergency room with a sleepy baby and a bored 6-year-old. The nurses had said something about dehydration and then rushed in with a bag of saline. They were at least nice enough to give Jonathan a coloring book.

"Joyce, what happened?" Hopper asked as he walked into the E.R room. Jim had been her friend since high school, and even though they weren't as close since her marriage, he was still around. Joyce wondered how long it would be until Hop found out about Lonnie... guess it had to be now.

"I had pulled over on the side of the road. I thought I was gonna fall asleep so I stopped for a few minutes. Hopper, what's going on? Why are they not letting me leave?" Joyce didn't even bother exchanging hello's first.

"Hey, buddy." Hopper said to Jonathan. He sat in the chair next to her bed as he motioned to hold his Godchild. After handing Will over to Hop, she waited for him to speak up.

"They're debating calling CPS, Joyce. They said that you hadn't slept in almost 48 hours. Is that true?" Hopper asked as he rocked Will.

"Yes, but CPS? Seriously? Hop, you can't let them do this! Please, I'm trying to get back on my feet since Lonnie left. Will cries at night and it keeps Jonathan up! I'm trying... I'm just so tired." Joyce immediately broke down in tears.

"Shh, Joyce. Relax. I won't let them do anything, I promise. I'm gonna talk to them and see what I can do. You have to take a deep breath though, they can't see you like this." Hopper whispered as he rubbed her arm.

"Alright, I... I trust you. I would never do anything to harm them, Hop. I'm just trying to balance this." Joyce said as she tried to slow her breathing down.

"I know. I promise I'll figure this out." Hop said as he gently placed the baby back in her arms. "I'll go talk to them." Hopper reassured her.

--

"Let's not get CPS involved with this, alright? I know Joyce, she's a good mother. She's just tired." Hopper pleaded with the nurse.

"Chief, with all due respect, you have to understand that she is utterly exhausted. She was so dehydrated I'm surprised she was even conscious. How do we know it isn't the same for the children?" The nurse retorted, setting Hopper aflame.

"You've got to be kidding me. Are you trying to tell me you think Joyce is starving her children? She had a diaper bag full of bottles when she came in. You are nobody to be making allegations right now." Hopper flared under his breath so nobody would hear him.

The nurse raised her brow at him, giving him a glare.

Scrubbing his face with his palms, Hopper sighed. "Alright, let's make a deal. I will go home with Joyce tonight, make sure she gets some rest. I'll make sure she and the kids are all well taken care of and then you don't call CPS. Can we agree on that?" Hopper bargained hopefully.

The nursed paused and sighed. "If this wasn't such a small town then I'd say no. Take her home tonight, Chief. Make sure she is well fed, rested, and the place is suitable for children. Do not make me regret this." The nurse said as she walked away.

After walking back into Joyce's room, Hopper shut the door behind him and sat.

"They're releasing you under a few conditions. I'm gonna help you take care of them for a few days." Hopper smiled nervously.