Chapter 9: A Walk Amongst Death

Chase's hands held tightly around the steering wheel, as it was now stained with Nicholas' blood. He drove for a while until he finally reached where his parent's lived, along with his younger brother. His brother was only a year young than him, and he stilled lived with his parents. He pulled up to the house, looking at it, as he thought about Nicholas, and what they would say if he told them about it. He turned off the car and looked down at his hands, as he gripped them into fists, and took a deep breath. He paused for a moment, then let his breath out, as he got out of the car.

He walked up to the door, as he grabbed the knob, and slowly opened the creaking door. "Hello?" He called out, seeing if anyone was home. Both cars were in the driveway, so he assumed so. 

"Chase?" A voice called out from the kitchen, as Chase quickly ran into it. He saw his brother, kneeling on the floor, in-front of two bodies underneath a blanket. 

"Hayden? Thank god you're okay-" Chase said, as his brother didn't move. 

"It was too late." Hayden said, as he turned his attention to Chase. "You were too late." He said as he stood up.

"I was at college- what did you expect?" Chase said, as he looked at his brother's arm, seeing it was bleeding from a bite mark. "Hayden-"

"It doesn't matter that you were at college, it matters that you weren't here. You're were never here anyways." Hayden said as he took a step towards Chase. 

"I'm sorry, Hayden. I'm sorry you had to do this, that you had to see this-" Chase said, as he saw the bloody knife in Hayden's hand.

"If you had just gotten here sooner..." Hayden said. "Maybe they'd still be alive!" He said, as he slashed at Chase, as Chase pulled his arm up, blocking his face.

The knife cut into Chase's arm, near his elbow, as he shoved Hayden off of him. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" Chase yelled.

"Mom and Dad are dead because of you!" Hayden yelled, as he attacked Chase, pushing him into the kitchen counter, as he held the knife, trying to stab it into Chase.

"Get off of me!" Chase yelled, as he pushed Hayden again. "They aren't dead because of me. I did nothing wrong." He said.

Hayden fell backwards, as he dropped the knife. "It's your fault." He said, as he stood up and threw a punch at Chase, but Chase jumped back and dodged it, throwing a punch back, hitting Hayden straight in the face. 

Chase looked at the cut on his arm, as he saw blood began to drip onto the floor from it. Hayden stumbled backwards, as he hit his back on the kitchen counter. He turned and grabbed a fork that was on the counter, as he lunged towards Chase. Chase looked up quickly, as Hayden slashed the fork at Chase's face. Chase saw Hayden for a second, then suddenly felt a sharp pain on his face, as he fell backwards onto the kitchen floor. He put his hand over his left eye, as he laid on the floor. He looked up at Hayden, who held the bloody fork in his hand. He stared at Chase in awe, as he dropped the fork, the sound of it hitting the floor echoed through the kitchen. Chase continued to hold his hand on his face, as blood began to appear to drip down his face. He lifted his hand up from the left side of his face, as he lifted his hand up. His eye was still there and he was able to see through it, although there were 2 cuts through into it from the top, and out the bottom, along with 2 other cuts along the side of his face from the fork. 

"Chase- I'm so so sorry." Hayden said.

Chase stood up slowly, as he looked around the room, making sure his eye was okay. Hayden took a step back, as Chase took a step forward. He bent down and picked up the fork, as Hayden held his hands out. 

"I'm sorry, Chase- Please!" Hayden said, as Chase suddenly grabbed Hayden, forcing the fork into his neck. He held it there for a moment, as Hayden's eyes widened and he gasped for air. Chase pulled the fork out, as blood began to pour and spray out of 4 small holes in his neck, as Hayden fell backwards onto the floor. 

Chase dropped the fork and took a step back, falling to the floor and leaning against the wall, as he continued to stare at the wall. 

A few hours went by, as he suddenly heard Hayden get back up. Chase looked as he stumbled through the kitchen and growled. The turned Hayden looked at Chase, as it growled more aggressively and attacked him. Chase grabbed the knife from earlier, as he pushed Hayden to the ground and stabbed it into his skull. He pulled the knife out and cleaned it off on his pants, as he stood up. He opened up the glass sliding door which was in the kitchen, as he pulled Hayden's dead body outside into the woods. 

Chase walked back into the kitchen and looked down at his parent's bodies underneath the blanket, as he sighed, walking through the house and up the stairs. He went up into his room and looked around. He dropped his bag and pulled out all his school supplies, leaving it on the floor. He grabbed a sleeping bag from his closet and attached it to his bag, alongside a blanket that he stuffed inside. As he was walking out of the room, a book caught his eye. He picked it up, reading the clean words across the glimmering cover. He smirked and let out a small chuckle, as he went back downstairs. He began to stuff his bag with cans of food which don't expire for years, as he put his bag on and walked out the glass sliding doors. 

He set up a small camp next to Hayden's body, as he started to wrap the cuts on his arm and on his face. He slept for a while, as he began to read some of the pages from the book he had picked up. He ended up falling asleep, but woke up right before dawn. He poked around at the fire with his knife, as it started up again. 

"Perhaps the more insane a man is, the more powerful he could become." He said softly, as he pulled his knife out of the flame and looked at it. He turned and looked at Hayden's body, as he stabbed his knife into it, cutting open his body, smearing the blood over his face, hair and clothes. He stood up, walking into the woods, as he breathed in the cool winter air, as he opened his mouth up one final time, before closing it forever.

++--++

(In case you were wondering what the cuts on his eye look like, credit to my friend)