Chapter 8: The Powerful and the Insane

The glittering dim fire sparkled in the gloomy morning sky, as the college junior sat beside it, staring at a book he held in his hand, with a knife in the other. He smiled, and began to laugh as he gripped his hand around the handle of the knife. 

"Perhaps the more insane a man is, the more powerful he could become." He said softly, as he looked at the clean blade of the knife. 

He placed the book down onto the ground, which on the cover read 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' as he held the knife in both hands, stabbing it into the chest of the dead laying on the ground beside him. He pulled the blade through the chest into the abdomen, as blood began to seep through and pour out onto the body and into the grass below it, staining it a dark bloody red. The man cleaned his knife against his pants, closing it back up and sticking it into his back pocket. 

He looked down at the opened walker, as he pushed his fists into the body, filling his hands with the blood. He pulled them out, having hand fulls of blood, holding it calmly in his hands as he stared at them. He pulled one of his hands up to his face, as he pushed his bloody palm up against his cheek, slowly moving it down his face as the blood stained it. He used his other hand to do the same thing, this time to the other side of his face. He pushed one of his hands back into the body, pulling out a fresh handful of blood, as he slid it across his forehead, as the blood dripped down onto his nose and lips. He pushed his hand into the body again, pushing the fresh hand full of blood through his hair and onto his clothes. He looked up at the rising sun, as it began to make its way over the trees. 

He stood up, putting his backpack on as he picked up the book with him. He looked down at the fire, as he tossed the book on top of it, watching it burn and melt into ash. He turned away from it, as he began to walk into the woods.

+ + +

     Chase's eyes opened quickly, as he looked up at the flashing college ceiling. He pushed the biter off of him, as he stood up. He looked down at his shirt, seeing that around the collar had been stained with blood. He began to walk through the hallways, as a biter turned the corner, looking right at him. Chase hesitated, as he took a step back. The walker continued to walk down the hall, as Chase realized it's expression wasn't changing, and neither was it's pace. As the walker finally made it to him, Chase watched, as it walked beside him, passed him, and walked down the hallway behind him. Chase's eyes grew large, as he watched it walk away. Chase looked down at his hands, then slowly flipped them over. He grew more and more confused. He began to think to himself, "Am I dead?" "How did it not see me?" "Where are the others?" Chase continued to walk down the hallway back to the stairwell where Nicholas was. He finally reached the door, as he put his hand against the glass in the door. He peered through, seeing Nicholas sitting alone. He was leaned against the wall, with his arms crossed on top of legs, with his head buried in them. Chase put his hand on the handle as he pulled the door open. Nicholas pulled his head up, seeing Chase slowly walk through the doorway. He quickly stood up, glaring at Chase. He didn't look dead- but at the same time he did. Chase took a step down the stairs, as he tried to speak, but couldn't manage to get anything out. Chase heard clumsy footsteps behind him, as a walker pushed its way through the opened door and fell down the stairs next to him. Nicholas took a step back as his eyes widened. He looked at Chase, then back at the walker, confused yet at peace. Nicholas opened his arms out, as the walker got up and walked towards him. Chase quickly ran down the stairs, crashing into the walker as he pushed it against the wall. He grabbed it's hair, as it tried to snap at Chase, but he quickly smashed it's head against the wall, as the walker fell to the ground. Chase breathed heavily, as the walker held its arms out at him. He lifted up his foot and smashed it down on top of it's skull repeatedly until it was completely crushed. Nicholas had lowered his arms and watched as Chase did what he did.