Second Proposal

The young woman accepted the stranger's hand as he helped pull her to her feet. Then realization dawned on her, "W-What did you j-just call me?"

     "Messenger. That's what you are isn't it?"

     "I-I-I don't-"

     "I'm sorry. Allow me to introduce myself," he gave a small bow, "My name is Ara, and yours would be?"

     "J-Jonah."

     "Well then Jonah, what is a young women such as yourself doing out at this late hour of the night?"

     "I was at work, b-but I..." her voice trailed off. How could she tell a complete stranger about the attempt on her life?

     "You got fired?" she took a small step back.

     "Something like that," who was this guy?

     "Well this is perfect timing!" He was practically bursting with excitement, "You are going to need a new job, correct?"

     "Right..." she tried to slip away, but to no avail.

     "I just so happen to be in need of a new employee."

     This guy was really starting to freak her out, "Um... thanks for the offer, but I-"

     "Right. Of course you can't just trust a stranger you've never met." He held out a business card for Jonah to take, "I imagine you have a lot on your mind right now, so take some time to think it over," she took the card carefully and thanked him for the offer before running away as fast as she could. When she made it back to her apartment, she immediately laid on her bed and drifted to sleep.

     She woke to find herself back on the roof. She looked around frantically for a way out, but the door had been replaced by a wall.'This can't be happening!'

     'But it is.'

     She whirled around to find herself face to face with someone she had never seen before, yet he was so familiar, 'W-who are you?'

     'Don't you remember me? You gave your life to me mere moments ago,' Jonah's hands flew instinctively to her neck, 'That's right my dear dove.'

     'I-I still don't know your name.'

     'If you try, I think you'll find that you already know all you need to know.'

     'You're the messenger,' she barely spoke at a whisper, but her words echoed through the empty dream world.

     'That's right,' he lifted her chin up so they were looking directly into the other's eyes, 'And now I have given some of my power to you. You are the key that will bring about peace, but you can't do it alone.'

     'The stranger on the street.'

     'Yes. He will bring together those who hide in the darkness, and you will help him do that.'

     'But what can I do?!'

     'You will know when the time comes. Goodbye until next time my dove,' he vanished leaving behind a single black feather.

     Jonah bolted up out of bed. For a long moment, she started at the business card the stranger had given her. Then with shaking, she picked up the phone and dialled the printed number.