Dove's Sacrifice

Inside a certain building, a women sits at a desk working diligently on the wonderfully exciting task of filing paper. There was a knock on the door. Without waiting for a respose, the door opened to reveal the vaguely familiar figure of a man.

     "Did you take care of that problem like I asked you?"

     "Yes ma'am. It's shame that such a pure dove lost its wings and fell to the ground."

     She looked up from the desk watching as the man reclined in the chair across from her, "It was a necessary sacrifice. If word got out, it could cause a lot of problems for us."

     "However, people are too afraid to leave their houses unless it is rush hour."

     "That is true. They have the mentality of a herd of cattle, but it's not the commoners that I'm worried about."

     "That's right. I almost forgot about the so called investigators."

     "We share influence over the commoners, but they have allies in the government."

     "Those fools?"

     "Foolish as they may be, fear can be a powerful motivator for those with everything to lose. Those fools are nothing more than puppets."

     "Politics mess everything up don't they?"

     "Indeed," the woman returned to working, "Could you leave my office now?"

     "Sorry," he left without another word.

     Now that she was alone she let out a sigh, and stared out the window, 'Why did this have to happen? I never wanted to hurt anyone, but what choice did I have?'

     'You are doing the right thing, even if no one sees right now. They will come to understand, or drown in the darkness.'