Chapter 4

*Note- this is a long one! I had fun writing this one more than any of the others, I think. If you're reading and like it or have anything that you think I could work on please let me know!

-----

                Robert dried my eyes and comforted me like true friend he is. I really appreciated it. But morning came, along with the realization I'd gotten very little sleep. I didn't know what to do, so I went to work. Cars, gun, whatever. I just needed a distraction.

"Hey," I heard Pierson to my side.

"Hello." I tried to sound normal, like I wasn't in one of the worst places in my life right now.

"By the sounds of it, I'm assuming you heard about your troop?" I just nodded. "I'm sorry about that. Your director said that for the foreseeable future, you're going to be with us. Never been done before, but I didn't think that'd discourage you."

"No, sir."

"Take care of yourself, Private," he said, patted my shoulder, and walked off.

I sighed. There's nothing I could do, but it didn't help me one bit. While before I got by and thought I was a generally happy person, now I don't see that at all. Those girls were some of the most important people in my life, and I don't know if I'll ever see them again.

This war can kiss my ass.

"I brought you breakfast."

I turned around quickly. "Oh, thank you."

"How you doing?" Robert asked.

I rolled my eyes. "You can probably unwrap your hand by now, by the way, if it's not hurting too much."

"My hand's fine, don't worry about it."

"It's my job to worry about it."

"Good point. We got other medics, though." He set the food down and I began to pick at it. He offered a cigarette, which I took gratefully.

"God, these are shit." He chuckled. "I don't know what the hell I'm doing here."

"Do any of us?"

"Some more than others."

"Even if you don't know anymore, you're still doing good."

"By killing someone's son? They're people, you know. I hate them with every bone in my body, but I still can't help but feel that I'm doing more harm than good."

"You're doing more good than harm. Really," he said once I gave him a look. I continued to pick at my food. "You're helping us get one step closer to freeing everyone in ghettos and labor camps. Think of it that way. In my opinion, that's doing way more good than harm."

"I suppose," I said. "Thank you."

"Yeah, of course." He put an arm around me. "So, what's going on now? You getting shipped out?"

I shook my head. "They're too busy to worry about me right now."

"That's great!" he cried and gave me a hug, I shook my head and smiled in amusement. "Welcome to the crew."

I could not describe the feeling I had when I saw that train get derailed and destroyed. I don't think anyone expected to see the two guys walking up with Rousseau. I'd met her minutes before she ran to the wreckage. Crowley from the British Special Forces introduced us, and we got along well. It also helps that we're all working toward liberating Paris.