Seven

The next day after work, I found myself in a flurry of emotion. On one hand, I was helplessly smitten.

In the back of my mind, though, was Andrew. I felt like I owed it to him to tell him that Liam and I were together. I climbed up into my 4-Runner and pulled out my phone, typing a text to my best friend.

Hey Drew...what are you doing right now?

My phone pinged right away.

I was about to go to Target. Wanna come?

LOL. Sure. White Bridge or Nashville West?

Nashville West. I'll be there in like ten minutes.

All right, I'm coming from my office, so I'll be there in a few.

10-4.

When I walked into Target ten minutes later, I snuck up behind Andrew in the toothpaste aisle and put my hands over his eyes.

"Guess who?"

"Hmmmm... I wonder..." he said, reaching his hand around my waist and squeezing my ass. I felt warm all over and scolded myself. "Damn, that booty can only belong to one person," he teased, spinning around to face me.

I laughed, but when Andrew kissed the corner of my mouth, I breathed in and leaned away from him. His brow furrowed, hurt crossing his features.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing! I just need to tell you something," I murmured, my stomach knotting.

"Okay, go for it." Now he looked more interested and less hurt.

"I have a boyfriend," I blurted.

His face betrayed a litany of emotions in a matter of seconds: surprise, slight disappointment, and finally, reluctant acceptance. "Wow, th-that's awesome. I didn't even know you were seeing anyone." Then he asked the question I was dreading. " Who is it, do I know him?" He turned his back to me, continuing to hunt for toothpaste.

I shifted my weight from foot to foot. "Liam." I stared at the back of his head and waited for it to sink in.

"Who?"

"Liam...Covington," I muttered, biting my lip.

Andrew spun around, and his eyes widened. "Doctor Covington? Your psychiatrist?" He lowered his voice on the last word.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Dr. Covington." I put my hand on my hip. "But he isn't my psychiatrist anymore."

"Hmmm." His expression made it clear that he still didn't quite approve. "Who's your psychiatrist now?"

"No one. I think I'm getting better. I'm going to stay on the medicine, and Liam is going to monitor me."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I don't want you slipping back down into that dangerous place," he said, lowering his voice and putting his hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head. "I won't; I have you to watch out for me, right?"

"That's true; I'll always watch out for you."

I smiled, and feeling relieved, I threw my arms around him. "Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate that."

"No prob, Char," he replied, squeezing me once and letting me go. "Want to get a coffee?" he asked, and everything felt normal again.

Andrew took it as well as I could have hoped, and I knew Julia was going to freak out, but in a good way. After coffee with Andrew, I showed up at Julia's house.

I ran up her stairs and pressed the doorbell.

"Charlotte!" she exclaimed as she flung open the door, pulling me into a hug.

"Hey, Jules. I have news!"

She pulled me in and shut the door. "Tell me."

"Liam and I–" I started, but she cut me off.

"Oh, my God. You fucked him," she said, shoving my shoulder backward.

I barked a laugh. "God! You're so vulgar!"

"Well, did you, or didn't you?" she demanded, ignoring me.

"No, I didn't...but we decided yesterday that we're a 'thing,' and he isn't my psychiatrist anymore, so we don't have to worry about that pesky ethical problem."

"Yes! I knew you'd end up together from the very first time you saw him!" She grabbed my hands, and we danced in a circle until we fell back on the couch in giggles, laying on our backs and talking about anything and everything until twilight covered the city. On my way home, all I could think about was how I wanted to introduce Liam to the two most important people in my life. 

He had no issue with Julia, but since he knew my history with Andrew, he was understandably a little apprehensive. I told him not to worry, that he was the only one I wanted, but trying to tell a psychiatrist to not overthink something is impossible.