Epilogue

four years later

"Drew!" I yelled out the back door. "Dinner's ready!"

"All right, we're coming!" he shouted back, his footsteps hitting the stairs of the back deck as he jogged up.

"Mama!" a little voice called, her bare feet hitting the tile in the kitchen.

"Hi, baby!" I greeted her, picking her up and swinging her around, her red curls bouncing wildly. "Are you and Daddy having fun?"

"Yeah! He sprayed me with the hose!"

I laughed. "Oh, he did, did he? Did you spray him back?"

She giggled. "No!"

"Well, after dinner we may have to get him!" I said, tickling her. "Now go wash your hands!"

She squealed and ran off to the bathroom.

Andrew came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my stomach, kissing my neck. I smiled and spun around to face him.

"Hi," I whispered, pressing my lips to his.

"Hi," he echoed. "You look gorgeous," he said, pulling me against him by my waist.

I laughed. "Please. I've been cooking fried chicken," I said, looking down at my flour-covered clothes.

"Exactly," he said, slapping my butt and grabbing a Coke from the fridge.

"Let's eat," I said, shaking my head and laughing.

"Where's our daughter?" he asked, washing his hands in the kitchen sink.

"In her bathroom washing her hands," I replied, taking plates out of the cabinet.

"Julia Katherine Emerson!" Andrew called. "I'm gonna eat all the mac and cheese if you don't hurry!" he teased.

"Nooo!" she yelled, thundering down the stairs.

Andrew laughed and caught her in his arms, sweeping her onto his shoulders. I grinned and walked into the living room toward them, standing on the brick fireplace where I had fallen victim to Liam so many years ago, except now, I was using it to give my daughter a kiss. My daughter that exists because of two best friends, both of whom saved my life in two different, but very real ways.

Four years ago, my best friend Julia was taken from me by a monster... and we kept her memory alive the only way we knew how: through the daughter who never would've existed if it weren't for her selflessness.

And now? My life hasn't turned out exactly the way I planned, but in the ways that matter, it's turned out better.

Because trust me; even after everything I've been through, I wouldn't change any of my choices. Because then I may not have Andrew...or Julia.

And did Julia Stone achieve atonement?

When I look at our daughter, the answer shines back at me through her blue eyes. 

THE END