[Chapter 12] One By One

Abby was in the infirmary, wrapping a new bandage around Phil's leg. His foot had almost healed up and was almost good enough for him to stand on his feet. He might've even been able to walk. Joey, on the other hand, wasn't faring too well. His wound was getting worse - and Abby was sure that he had an infection, despite the efforts she gave to prevent such an occurrence.

"All right, that should be good," She said as she patted his foot and sat back. Phil swung his legs over the bedside. Abby and Joey both looked at him, waiting to see what he would do.

Phil glanced over at Abby before asking, "Could I try standing up?"

"S-sure," Abby replied, skepticism in her tone.

He smiled before touching his feet to the cold floor. He took in a big breath before lifting himself off of the bed and standing freely. Time seemed to stop in the infirmary as Phil stood there. Though it felt like minutes, it was only a few seconds before he lost his balance and fell forward - right on Joey's leg. Joey screamed in pain as Phil scrambled to get off of him - causing him to fall on the floor. Abby rushed to his aid and helped him up to sit on the bed.

"Good try, Phil," Abby remarked with a smile, "But I don't think you'll be able to stand up on your own for a few more days."

"Why don't you give him crutches?" Joey suggested through clenched teeth. He was still in pain from Phil falling on him.

Abby's eyes widened, "You're right! Give me a second..." She got up and walked into a back room, where the medical supplies and equipment were kept. While she was back there, Zach walked through the infirmary door.

"Hey!" Phil greeted, "What's up?"

"Uh...is Abby here?" Her brother questioned, scratching behind his neck.

"Yeah! Back here!" Her sister shouted as she returned to the room where Joey, Phil, and Zach were. She had a pair of crutches tucked underneath her arms, "What are you doing here, Zach?"

"Well..." He pulled out an envelope from his back pocket and waved it in the air, "We've got another challenge to go to."

Abby rolled her eyes, "We better not have to participate in this one, because I thought we were only helping Felix direct the YouTubers to do what he says and set up the challenges. Not participate in them."

Zach shrugged his shoulders, "It's not up to me what's written in this letter. Now, come on, everyone's waiting for us in the mess hall. We need to get going."

"Okay, just let me get Phil on these crutches," His sister replied as she handed Phil the wooden supports. He took them into his possession and positioned them under his arms. Everyone stood in silence as Phil tried for the second time to stand up. The crutches helped him a lot and this time he didn't topple over. Abby clapped and smiled widely.

"Great, now let's go," Zach said as he walked back out of the infirmary.

Abby heaved a sigh before helping Phil out of the infirmary.

Right before Abby closed the door behind her and Phil, Joey called out to them, "Hey! The first group escaped last night, right? Did they get out?"

Abby bit her lip before answering, "Uh...we're not sure yet." She went to close the door again when Joey asked another question.

"What do you mean you're not sure yet?"

"Joey, I've got to go," Abby stated as she closed the door, ending their conversation. Joey heaved a sigh and lied back, closing his eyes and covering his face with his hands.

Abby and Phil were a good distance behind Zach who was practically running towards the mess hall, but Abby didn't want to leave Phil behind. While they were walking together, Phil inquired, "What do you mean you're not sure if the first group escaped last night?"