[Chapter 17] They're All Dead

Anthony and Rachael had risen to their feet as the timer had gone down to ten seconds. They watched as the time ticked by. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. The timer reached zero and an explosion went off to the far left. The shock wave from the bomb spread through the camp, shaking the watchtower the two were in and the infirmary Abby was in with Phil and Joey. Rachael and Anthony lost their balance, causing Rachael to fall back into Anthony and pushing him to the back wall. The two of them looked at each other weirdly before Rachael got herself off of him and moved as far away from his as possible.

"I wonder whose box that was," Anthony said, opening the door on the floor that led to the ladder that extended down to the ground. He began to exit when he noticed Rachael was staring out the window at the smoke cloud in the sky. "Are you going to come or what?" He asked his partner in crime.

"Y-yeah," She answered as she turned around and walked over to him. Anthony slipped through the door and slid down the side rails, Rachael following right after him. The two of them got themselves together and started in the direction of the explosion.

After walking for at least a half hour, they came across the area of the explosion. The air was full of smoke and ash. The ground was scorched and all of the leaves on the trees had been burned off. The wooden box was disintegrated, the only thing remaining was the bottom planks of wood. Scattered about the almost cleared out area were the bodies of all the campers involved in challenge.

"Oh my god..." Rachael murmured under her breath as she made her way over to one of the bodies. She knelt down and pushed the body over, shrieking in horror and scurrying back.

"What? What is it?" Anthony inquired, making his way over and seeing what Rachael did. It was Meghan. Her body burnt beyond belief - her face was almost unrecognizable she'd been burnt so badly. "Oh my..."

"She's...she's..." Rachael began to say.

"Dead," Anthony finished her sentence as the two of them looked at the carnage around them. "I think they all are."

Felix emerged from the edge of the clearing and laughed triumphantly. Rachael and Anthony gave him sickened looks. "This is great!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands together, "Ten down in one challenge! This is wonderful! Don't you guys agree?"

"Agree?" Rachael retorted in disbelief. Most of the serum that Felix had administered to her to make her do as he wanted had gotten out of her system. She started to approach him, "If anything, I highly disagree with you! You killed all these innocent and happy people! And for what? Fame?"

"Yes!" He smiled, "Exactly! I'm glad you see why I did this, Rachael." He patted her on the shoulder.

"No! I don't see why you did this!" She shouted, taking his hand off of her shoulder and pushing him to the ground. He looked up at her in shock. "You're sick! Sick, I tell you!" She unzipped her paint ball suit she was still wearing, ripped her name tag off of her red t-shirt she wore under it, and threw it at him, "I'm done with you and your sick, twisted camp." She spun around and as she passed Anthony said, "Come on, Anthony, we're done here."

"Rachael, I-I can't," He muttered. His serum was wearing off too. But he was too frightened of what Felix might do to leave with her. He'd seen and experienced the terrible things Felix was capable of doing. He didn't want to risk it. She glanced over her shoulder at him with a look of sadness. "i'm sorry." That's when Felix to rose to his feet, pulled out a gun, cocked it, and shot Rachael in the spine. She crippled to the ground, face down, a pile of blood slowly spreading out from beneath her.

As Anthony stared at her dead body, Felix walked up beside him and put his hand on his shoulder, "Good thing you decided to not go with her, huh?"

Anthony looked over at him before ripping himself out of Felix's grip and darting forward, back towards the cabins.