Chapter 5

Nikolas' POV

*Twenty-five years ago*

It was a rainy afternoon and I was stuck inside with grumpy Alice. My mom was busy on the phone, probably with work. She was always working.

I longed to visit the arcade, I heard from my schoolmates that a new game was being launched today. But mom would never take me, not while she was busy with her precious work. Alice was hogging the television  all to herself again.

I looked outside the window once again, if not for the stupid rain, I would have gone outside to play. I decided to try my luck with mom, 'maybe she'll take me after all ' I thought.

      "Mom, mom?" I called.

      "Niko, not now I'm busy" She said without even looking at me.

      "But mom! Please" I said.

      "Young man, what is it?" She asked turning around.

      "I want to go to the arcade pls, I'm so bored" I replied.

      "Honey, I'm so sorry but I'm working right now, maybe later" She said.

      "No! That's what you always say.  Dad would have taken me. I hate you!" I screamed at her.

      "Niko! Don't speak to me like that. I'm trying my best here" She said looking upset.

     "Well your best isn't enough!" I said storming off.

Later in the evening, while I was trying to sleep after crying, mom came to kneel by my bed, she apologized and promised to get me the new game right away. I ignored her and didn't make any move, she then left.

When I woke up later, I saw our nanny in the house, mom must have called her. The rain was pouring harder and the storm was getting worse, Alice was scared and I kept looking outside the window for mom.

At last the doorbell rang and I ran expectantly to the door, our nanny answered the door but it wasn't mom, it was a cop.

    "Good evening Madam" the cop said.

    "Good evening officer, how may I help you?" Nanny said.

    "Is this the house of Mrs. Esperanto?" He asked.

    "Yes, any problems?" She asked.

The cop looked at us and said, "can we speak outside?"

Our nanny went out, we watched from the window but couldn't understand what the cop said that changed nanny's expression, she looked sad.

When she came back inside, she broke the news that shattered my five year old boy dreams. Mommy was in an accident and didn't make it.

On the day of mom's burial nanny gave me a game, she said

"This was what your mom went to get, she kept it in the safe compartment so it's still intact"

I screamed and threw the game across the room. The last words I said to my mom were, 'I hate you'. Daddy took us away afterwards and Alice was there for me but I never played another game ever.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *  

Melissa's POV

Alcove Homes contacted me to see their available apartments and penthouses, the houses were lovely and quite expensive but Nikolas Esperanto should be able to afford it. I called him to book an appointment