Two (Home)

Home.

It's located on a patch of dirt filled with cement, and built up with wood plaster, and house materials. A roof carefully placed on it. The windows were dull and gritty, and the yard hadn't been watered in the three years I've lived here.

As I exited my car, I stepped onto our frayed driveway and began walking towards the cream chipped door I called my own. The door was unlocked, which meant that my brother either had a friend or his girlfriend over. Which, I wasn't okay with either, so when I stepped into the house the first thing I did was run upstairs. My room was the last door in the hallway, but was the bigger room.

And as I pushed my way into the room, I noticed how dark it would get in here when it was the day time. I sighed and set my bag down then closed my door. This was the first step to many when I got home. Next, I would go sit on my bed and pull my shoes off, then change into some pajama's. I would follow that with opening my curtain a small amount just to tell whether it was day or night and then I'd sit at my desk.

I had decided that tonight would be a simple shorts and tanktop night, so that when I would go onto my chat sight, I could breath a little if I got flustered. I opened my laptop, and sighed when I read all the notifications on my Skype.

"hey! where are u?" "why dont u reply anymore?" "Did you finally manage to kill yourself fag?"

The last one took me by surprise. I opened the chat.

"who the hell is this?" send

I wait, and look through my other messages, only to come right back to this chat. The person had seen my message, and I was waiting for a reply, my breath unsteady as I thought of what thy would say. Since it was taking a while to get any response, I decided to go downstairs to get a meal.

I pushed away from my desk and walked to my door. Pausing, I slowly put my ear to my chilly door. Just the nearly silent moans and giggles from my brothers room. I slowly opened my door, and tip-toed down the hallway, peeking into my brothers room. I shook my head at my brother laying naked on her. "Her" being his girlfriend.

I took tiny steps down the old dusty stairs and hustled towards our filthy kitchen.

I clean the kitchen once a week to keep it from getting really bad, and usually when I did, my brothers friend, Blake, always helped me.

Blake was handsome enough to make me blush and look down when we spoke, and he would always call to me at school. I'd wave but never approach. I didn't belong with him in his group of beautiful people. I didn't belong with him period. Him and his slim figure and dark hair. His expensive shirts.

I was me, and me was no one.

As I placed my hand on our fridge, I heard a small crash from upstairs, then my brothers laughter. My eyes rolled, and I pulled the fridge open. Barely any food. I grabbed the first box of Chinese food and and poured it out onto a paper plate.

Two minutes later, the microwaves beeps called me over in a hurry. I grab a fork and pull the food out, moving to the dining table... The table came with us when we left dad. I missed him, but I didn't at same time.

My father was an abusive man and a drunk man, and hit me many times over. Along with my mother and brother. He finally pushed my mother too far one day though, and she left him. Not even two days later he was found dead. Red and brains everywhere...

We cried. But not for long. Our mother said he wasn't worth it. And he wasn't. So we stopped.

I brought a bite of rice and noodles to my mouth. I ate the food in silence until I finished. Going to throw away the plate and wash my fork, when my brothers girlfriend comes down the stairs in one of his shirts. It was grey and frayed, one of his older shirts.

"Oh, Clarity. Hey. Didn't know you were home." Her voice bothered me. It was too high pitched in that, 'I'm better than you' way. I gave her a weak smile.

"Yeah, I thought I wouldn't announce I was home." I told her, and started to move towards the stairs.

"Oh, Clarity, uhm... Will you try and get out there? Your brother and I are worried that you aren't. Well... Making new friends." Her voice was flat when she said this. I turned to her.

"I'm sorry, but last time I checked, you were NOT my mother and my brother has NO say in what I do with my life." I turned and marched up the stairs.

Well... Welcome home Clarity, I thought.