15. Falling A Little Further

As Harry and Isabelle walked into the Lunch Hall, hand in hand, I caught Lucas following their stride with his eyes, a puzzled expression on his face.

"What's wrong, Luke?" I questioned my mate.

Lucas turned towards me. "Nothing. Just thinking."

"About what?" Logan queried, looking interested.

"Well. . " Lucas dragged out the word, sneaking a cautious glance at me. "No offence to your sister, Sophie, or to you or to Harry. But I was just wondering why they keep getting back together when they're constantly breaking up anyway."

"You make a good point," Zara mused.

Lucas flashed her a grin. I was relieved to see that it wasn't the smirk he'd been working on. Weirdo. He'd taken an obsessive interest in having his own signature smirk, driving me nuts in annoyance.

He turned back to me. "So? Do you know why they do it? Get back together, I mean."

Amelia cut in before I could answer. "Why exactly does it bother you?"

"It doesn't bother me," Lucas replied defensively. "It just occured to me when I saw them, obviously, together again. And I was answering Sophie's question."

"You had a point," Zara said, slightly restrained due to my presence.

"Don't be so cautious on my account," I told her. "She's my sister, but that doesn't stop you from having an opinion."

"And you?" Lucas asked. "Don't you have an opinion?"

"Why would I?" I questioned, confused.

He raised his eyebrows suggestively. "You know why."

"Because I like Harry?" I asked bluntly. "But he's Belle's boyfriend first. My feelings don't define what they have."

"So you're okay with them dating even though you like him?" Lucas inquired.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I don't really have a choice, do I? Besides, liking Harry Styles of all people is the craziest thing that's ever happened to me. I need for it to stop and I need you to stop asking me about it."

Lucas flashed a sly smile. "It's a fascinating subject; Miss good-girl Moore falling for the notorious, most popular boy of our school."

"It's only a crush," I corrected him.

"That's what you say," Lucas teased annoyingly.

I rolled my eyes. "It is and half the female population of this school like him."

"But your case is different?"

"How so?"

Amelia banged the table suddenly. "Stop it, you two!" She turned to Luke. "Lucas, stop gossiping about her crush."

"I'm not gossiping!"

Amelia remained firm. "Sounds like you are."

Lucas let out a sigh. "I just thought that as her friend, the topic was open to discussion."

I was about to reply, but Amelia got to it before I could. "It doesn't help her, Luke. Not only is he unattainable, he's also leaving in a month."

"He is?" Lucas looked surprised.

"Yeah," I answered. "I asked him about X Factor on Friday. He said he's going to be leaving after school is over."

"Wow," Zara voiced. "Can you imagine that, though? As if he's not any less of a star here . . " she trailed off.