The Fallen Star

“Laxus, you are hereby expelled from Fairy Tail,” his grandfather said. He waved his hand to the side to show the seriousness of the situation.

                The bandaged up young lightning wizard looked down in shock at his grandfather’s words. First it was his father and now him. It was almost laughable when he cracked a smile. “I understand.” He turned around to leave. “Thanks for everything, grandpa.”

                His grandfather had already turned away from him with tears in his eyes. His arms were folded across his chest. “Please just go.”

                Laxus left the room and his friends at Fairy Tail behind.

*

                “You can’t shuck here forever,” an old hermit told Laxus.

                Laxus crossed his arms and looked away from the old man. “I’m not shucking.” Laxus’ wounds from the Battle of Fairy Tail had long since healed. He stood in a hermit’s tent, not leaving for the past five days. A campfire stood between them and the stars tickled in the night sky.

                “Then do you know what you’re going to do next now that you’ve left Fairy Tail?” the hermit asked.

                Laxus looked down at the ground, remembering his final impression on his guild. “I’m going to travel and see the world.”

                “Is that all?” the hermit questioned.

                Laxus looked the man in the eye. “I need to see the world and learn more about myself.”

                The hermit sighed as if he wasn’t satisfied with the young man’s answer. He rested one hand on his crossed legs. “Laxus, have you ever heard the story of the Celestial Maiden?”

                Laxus raised his eyebrow. “What? Are you going to tell me a children’s story now?”

                “Since you are a lightning wizard and a thunder dragon slayer I will,” the hermit spoke.

                Laxus shut his eyes and lowered his head. “I’m not interested. I think I’ll get going now.” Laxus was just about to stand up.

                “This story involves a beautiful young girl,” the hermit said.

                Laxus stopped midway up and opened his eyes. Laxus had inherited many things from his grandfather, his hair color, magical strength, heart, worries, but also a perverted side that got his attention at the sound of a beautiful girl. He sat back down and looked the man in the eyes, serious. “What are you talking about, old man?”

                “There is a legend that a beautiful young girl belongs to the stars,” the Hermit began the story. “She is said to be as beautiful as the stars that surround her. Her power is striking and those that are around her grow stronger. A dragon slayer is said to realize their true power and self.”

                “How would someone find her?” Laxus questioned.

                “That’s the thing it’s said that no one has ever seen her,” the hermit answered. Laxus’ annoyance was clearly written on his face. “However the story says that she falls to the earth like a fallen star every month before she returns back to the word of the stars. Some stories claim that a dragon of the thunder will rescue her from her curse and it is believed if anyone were to actually meet her she could not return to the stars, but remain in our world. A tragic fate for her as she does not trust dragons or those associated with them.”