Prologue

PREVIOUSLY...

There's a loud explosion as the generator bursts apart and folds in on itself. You, Blu, and Varius are thrown fifty feet back. There's a nano-second of nothing, and then purple light erupts.

You throw yourself over Blu and Varius, your eyes squeezed shut, your hands gripping them tightly to your chest. You jolt as the light slams into you and the full force of Galran power and destruction floods over you.

The light spreads across the whole area. Keith and Lance fly into each other and land roughly on the rocks. Shiro turns his back on the light and is knocked over. Pidge buries her face in Hunk's shirt, the both of them hiding behind a rock. The Galran soldiers are washed away.

Slowly the light dies. Keith staggers to his feet, his heart pounding wildly. The terrain is torn up, the remaining bombs having gone off. The remaining Galran soldiers are wiped out and lay unmoving.

Keith's feet move instantly and he takes off for the generator. Lance follows him quickly. They pass Shiro, who gets to his feet and slowly goes after them. Pidge and Hunk spot the others from where they are and let out a shout.

Shiro and Lance stop and wait for them to catch up, relief and happiness spreading across their faces. Lance embraces his friends.

"You did it!" Pidge sniffs, wiping her nose.

"Well, it was really (Y/N), Blu and Varius, but we did kick some Galran ass." Lance shrugs, but he's beaming.

"It would've been for nothing without you two, though." Shiro smiles proudly. "You saved the Castle."

Pidge's lip quivers and then she's bawling again.

"Stop crying!" Lance frowns, although he wipes at his eyes. "Let's go congratulate the others."

They quickly head toward where they see Keith racing to the destroyed generator.

A filthy Varius is just pulling an equally filthy Blu to his feet when Keith slides to a stop in front of them.

"Keith," Blu grins. "You're alive, man. We did it."

"Where is (Y/N)?" Keith asks breathlessly.

"She-" Blu turns to the empty spot behind him. "-was right here." He falters.

Keith's expression changes, a shift so small Blu himself almost missed it.

"(Y/N)?! (Y/N)!" He starts searching the surrounding rubble and area frantically. "(Y/N)! Answer me damnit! (Y/N)!!!!"

The others finally catch up, but their happy and triumphant smiles all leave their faces when they see the scene before them.

"I don't understand-" Blu stammers as Varius wraps an arm around his shoulders. "She was just here. She-she shielded us from that blast of light-" He stops as Keith storms over to him.

"Where is she, Bluthorn?!" Keith snarls, grabbing him by the front of his torn and tattered shirt. Blu stares at him, face stricken and eyes wide.

"Where is she?! Where is my wife?!"

*******************

Your body feels like it's being torn apart, like it's being pulled in several directions at once. You twist and turn within the purple light, as if you're falling. Your stomach lurches. And then suddenly it stops you're flung across the rocky ground and you land painfully on your front.

Immediately, you gasp for breath, your hands clutching the rock beneath you. You try to sit up but pain races up your body. Your stomach heaves, and you retch violently, blood and vomit staining the rocks.