Chapter 10

The whole day Kelli wouldn't leave my side.

In a way I was grateful, but I couldn't feel anything. I was just...

Blank.

It was like I was fading away, I had a huge headache and felt dizzy, probably because I hadn't eaten all day in fear I would throw up.

"Danny... Come on. Come with me to cheerleader rehearsals... Come on. Daniel...? Baby?" Kelli asked me, holding my hand.

Wow she really was a mother.

It took all my energy just to look in to her eyes. I tried to force a smile. I really did.

I couldn't do it.

In one minute I was sitting with Kelli, in the next minute I was sprawled out across the ground, my head spinning.

"Danny?! OMG are you okay?" She asked, trying to hoist me up.

"Little w-woozy. Head rush?" I asked.

As soon as I said it I knew that wasn't the case.

Kelli slapped the back of her hand to my forehead, "Oh my god!! You're burning u-"

That was the last thing I heard before I lost consciousness altogether.

One of the few times I woke I could catch a glimpse of Kelli at my side, a few of her friends with her and stroking my hair.

Someone's voice echoed around my head constantly, "Been out for a week."

"Unconscious."

"Mental breakdown."

"Something bad happened."

Then, I finally woke up. For a long time.

By the time my eyes adjusted to the room I could understand where I was, even though I felt brain dead.

I had to run things through my head a few times before I remembered who I was:

My name is Daniel. Danny for short. I am short. I am a junior going on to a senior. I'm in a hospital room, why am I here? I shouldn't be here. And neither should that person standing in the corner.

Wait... What?

I snapped out of my daze, my gaze hardening.

"How are you... Feeling...?" Someone's smooth voice said to me.

The figure emerged from the shadows, revealing the flawless face of that jackass Mark.

I did feel a flutter in my chest, unfortunately that came up on the heart monitor, which made my cheeks flush.

"Damn it. Go away, I'm not in the mood for y-you or your bitchy g-girlfriend Ha-Hannah!" I stuttered out, attempting to control my racing heart.

"Just so you know I kinda dumped her. She wasn't right for me..." He murmured.

I was still pissed off, so naturally I turned on my side, facing my back to him.

"You have a cute butt." He said.

Goddamn it that freakin playboy was teasing me.

I covered my butt up with the hospital blanket, "Go away. I'm not in the mood, and I won't e-ever be in the mood for you."

I felt a weight on my bed, shifting my centre of balance.

"Oh yeah? Because that's not what the heart monitor is telling me." Mark said, I could practically hear him smirking.

I refuse to blush. I refuse to blush. I refuse to b- damn it.

My mouth was clamped shut, I didn't want to look at him as I forced tears back from my eyes.

I could finally understand what was wrong with me, of course.

The realisation that Mark had a girlfriend, that I had no chance with him had hurt me so mentally I got sick and collapse. I don't know?

Something along those lines anyway.

So great, it was all Marks fault I was here. In hospital. My stomach rumbling and my temper not improving.

"Get out." I hissed to him.

"Naw... You look so cute when you're blushing. It makes me just want to... Eat you up." Mark said, I could tell he was teasing me to get a reaction.

Duh, Mark teases everyone. Boy and girl alike. It's just how he roles.

I felt his tongue brush up and down my neck, sending electric zaps along my body.

I shifted around hastily and punched him, "I said get away from me! I h-hate you! You did this t-to me and I don't want to e-ever be near you a-aa... Again!" I spat out.

Mark just gaped at me, wide-eyed.

"I thought you and I..."

"Yeah. Well so did I!" I hissed.

Yeah, I did think we could be friends. Turns out I was proved wrong.

"Go away and never speak to me a-again. I hate you, Mark Zachary."

I could see how much those words had hurt him, it gave me a malicious sense of pleasure, now that he was hurt just as I was.

He deserved it.

Mark looked down, his lip trembled slightly, he used his ruffled hair to cover his eyes as he walked out the door, head slumped and hands stuffed into his pockets.

Oh no... What have I done?