Chapter 11

I wake up in the dark and my head hurts a lot. I try to move, but my arms are glued against the sides of my body and I can't move the rest of my body as well. They must have tied me up again.

While I'm staring in the dark, I try to process what happened before. I almost escaped. I can't believe I was almost free and they caught me at the last moment. If only they hadn't been in that supermarket...

I could have been home right now, if I hadn't run into them.

I feel tears forming in my eyes. Don't cry Mikey, stay strong, I tell myself. But I start crying anyway.

Why did this happen to me? Why do I feel like everyone and everything I've known all my life is a lie?

I feel like I don't even know my own father. I wonder if he's actually worried about me right now, if he's actually looking for me.

And I don't understand why the boys never told me they were in a band. It's like they're hiding things from me. Like why they hate my father. I asked it several times. Why can't they just tell me what's going on?

I let my head hang. I wonder if they're just going to let me die here. Maybe that isn't a weird idea at all. I tried to run away from them, so there's no chance they will trust me ever again.

I hope they punched that Cameron guy in the face for making me escape...

Wait, he didn't look very stupid at all. What if he left the door open on purpose? What if he reconsidered the deal I suggested and decided to help me?

Maybe Cameron isn't that bad after all...

It makes me feel a bit better that at least one person hasn't left me alone. That reminds me of a song my father sang when he was the lead singer in a band.

I quietly hum the intro to the song. This room makes my voice sound pretty good actually.

I close my eyes when I sing the first couplet of the song.

"Don't you know

We've come too far now

Just to go

And try to throw it all away

Thought I heard you say

You love me

That your love was gonna be here to stay

I've only just begun

To know you

All I can say is

Won't you stay just one more day."

I smile as I start singing the chorus.

"Baby if you've got to go away

I don't think

I can take the pain

Won't you stay another day

Oh don't leave me alone like this

Don't say it's the final kiss

Won't you..."

Suddenly the door opens. A bright light shines in my face and I see someone walking in. "I - I didn't mean to interrupt your singing, but... wow... that was flawless," Jack says. "Why didn't you tell us? I need to tell the others!"

"Wait!" I say. "Can you at least untie me?" Unfortunately he doesn't hear it and walks away.

Not too long after all boys walk in. They're all smiling at each other, except for Rye. I try to catch his gaze, but he looks the other way.

"Jack told us you're voice sounds perfect!" Brooklyn says enthusiastically. "Can you sing again?"

My eyes widen. "W - what? No, I don't want to."

"Aw, but Jack promised you would sing for us," Brooklyn says and pouts.

I roll my eyes. "Alright, but only if you untie me first," I say.

Brooklyn walks over to me and starts pulling at the ropes, but Rye grabs his shoulder. "Don't," he says. "He will probably try to run away again."

I sigh. "Don't act so hurt, Rye," I say. "You told me yourself you'd try to escape as well if you were in my situation."

Rye looks down at his hands. "I know, Mikey, and I'm sorry. But I just thought you were starting to like us and that you would stop trying to escape."

"Don't get me wrong," I say. "I really think you are pretty nice people, but I prefer me being the person that decides about my life. And if I'm not free, I can't make my own decisions."

"We understand and respect that," Andy says, "but unfortunately we can't untie you yet. Brooklyn really wants to hear you sing though... So... If you don't mind..."

"Okay," I say. "I will sing for you, but only if you sing with me, RoadTrip." I laugh when I see their confused faces. "Cameron told me," I explain.

"We're not really a band anymore actually," Andy says. "We decided to take a break after what happened between your father and us."

I let my gaze drift down. "You're still not going to tell me what happened, are you?"

"You guessed that right," Andy answers.

"Stop talking already!" Brooklyn says impatiently. "I want to hear Mikey sing!"

Jack starts singing the chorus of Stay another day and soon the others join in. I have to admit they're actually pretty good.

At the end of the chorus Jack nods at me, to tell me I have to sing the first couplet. I nod and smile back. Then I start singing the couplet.

While I'm singing, I look at Rye and see there are tears in his eyes. He quickly looks at the ground when he sees me watching.

The second couplet Andy sings. In the chorus Rye takes the lead and the rest of us sing the other parts. I sing the bass part.

When the song is over, everyone stays quiet and looks at each other, until Rye decides to break the silence. "I can't do this anymore," he says, before leaving the room.

"Rye, wait up," Andy says, before following him out of the room.

Jack and Brooklyn stay with me. "Wow, that was sick," Brooklyn says. "I didn't know you could sing that good!"

"Yeah, that was amazing," Jack agrees.

"We could've expected this talent though," Brooklyn says. "I mean his father is also a very good singer, so it must be a family thing or something."

Jack rolls his eyes. "Don't be stupid Brooklyn. Blair isn't his real father, so that can't be the reason."

My jaw drops. "W-what?"

Jack looks at me. "Wait, you didn't know Blair adopted you?"

"Adopted me?" I ask, my eyes widened. "Is that a joke?"

I try not to freak out when I look at the two boys in front of me. "What do you mean he adopted me?"

Jack and Brooklyn share a look. "Andy!" Jack yells. "Can you please come here for a second? We need you!"

When Andy walks in, he gives the boys an angry look. "I'm trying to deal with Rye right now, okay? Please leave me alone for a moment." Just as he wants to walk away again, he sees my face and freezes. "Wait, what's going on with you? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Brooklyn swallows. "We talked about how his father adopted him and stuff and then it turned out he didn't know he was adopted," he explains.

Andy's eyes widen. "Blair didn't tell him?"

Jack shakes his head. "I guess he didn't."

"You are joking, right?" I ask, my eyes still widened in shock. "Please tell me you're joking!"

Andy takes a deep breath and looks at me. "I'm afraid we're not, Mikey. Blair isn't your real father. And your name isn't Mikey Dreelan," he says. "It's Mikey Cobban."